Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What speed do you run?

PeteOOXXOO

Hey crew. Fairly new to the sport - just wondering what speed everyone runs at for the 3 disciplines (wakeboard, slalom and surf)? The new Bu has preset cruise control speeds - just wondering whether they are ok or not? Thoughts?

Wakeboard- 22. Slalom 35 but I think Im going to back it down to 30-32 this year. I'm a novice at both, the reason I board at 22 is because it's the only speed I can get a halfway decent wake with a Response. I ski at 35 because I want a really flat wake but that is probably faster than I should be going given my skill. Im going to back it down a bit this spring and concentrate on fundamentals before stepping back up.

It changes based on the skill level of the person, but in general

Wakeboard - 20

Ski - 32

Surf - Usually around 11 - My speed control doesn't lock in this low so I usually do this by RPM manually

It changes based on the skill level of the person, but in general

Wakeboard - 20

Ski - 32

Surf - Usually around 11 - My speed control doesn't lock in this low so I usually do this by RPM manually

If you are using the malibu integrated speed control, have your dealer reflash it. Then you will be able to set it all the way down to about 8 mph.

Edited by Jimmypooh

We only slalom ski for the most part. We run 36mph . If we do get a newbie we do adjust. Skill, weight , are the biggest factors. We also have all running 15 off or more for the most part.

Our usual crew run 35 off. We don’t even keep the first 15 feet on our ropes.

Slalom - Depends on whether you're running or course or just free-skiing. Not many people in the world can run 36 mph / 35 off through a slalom course (although a lot of free-skiers think that they could :lol: ). It is fun to free-ski at that speed/line length though. We back it down to 34 mph for the course. Slowing it down some will give you more time to work on technique but how slow will depend on your weight / ski length and which ski you're on. Some skis don't like going slow. HO Syndicate A1 is good at 34/36, not so great at 32, and nearly unskiable (if that's even a word) at 30 and below.

If you go to the AWSA website you will find the official speeds for tournament skiing. They are actually a very good guide to use even when free skiing as the equipment is designed for those speeds. As noted, you basically increment up in speed from as low as 28 mph up to 34 (for older skiers) or 36 (younger crowd) and take rope off as you successfully navigate the slalom course. It is a lot of fun to ski in to short line length's but it does take a fair amount of practice as things speed up when the rope gets shorter.

You did not mention barefooting, another fun activity worth a try, speeds range from 36-42 mph depending on skier weight.

Cheers folks - thanks for the suggestions :). Picking the boat up today after the prop was repaired - if the weather holds we might take it out this arvo and try them out. Thanks! :)

Slalom - I only do it every few times out for a short free-ski run, usually around 28 MPH. I used to do 30MPH when it is what I mainly did (fastest my old boat would go loaded up with people and me behind it). Now that I'm used to wakeboarding at slower speeds, slalom feels freaking FAST.

Wakeboarding - 19 - 20MPH, but will probably move more towards 20 - 21 this year, as I pretty much was stuck on 20 at the end of last year.

Surfing - Just got the board, we will see. :)

Wakeboard- 23.4 mph with Front, middle, and rear ballast full, Wedge 3 clicks from all the way down in the 07' wakesetter. The same in the 2000 wakesetter minus the wedge.

Edited by ac88926

Slalom - 34mph course skier

Wakeboard - 22mph @ 75'

Surf - :dontknow: my boat doesn't register a speed that slow. Usually around 1750rpm depending on boat load (ballast, people, gear).

Slalom - Depends on whether you're running or course or just free-skiing. Not many people in the world can run 36 mph / 35 off through a slalom course (although a lot of free-skiers think that they could :lol: ). It is fun to free-ski at that speed/line length though. We back it down to 34 mph for the course. Slowing it down some will give you more time to work on technique but how slow will depend on your weight / ski length and which ski you're on. Some skis don't like going slow. HO Syndicate A1 is good at 34/36, not so great at 32, and nearly unskiable (if that's even a word) at 30 and below.

If you think you are a bad A$$ free skiing hit the course...... Can you say HUMBLING!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never forget the first time I drove a course.. Are you sure this boat will fit between the balls??????

If you think you are a bad A$$ free skiing hit the course...... Can you say HUMBLING!!!!!!!!!!!

I will never forget the first time I drove a course.. Are you sure this boat will fit between the balls??????

And boy do those bouys come fast when yout skiing it! I think on my first run I got the very first one inly because I cheated and started from outside the entry gates.

Wakeboard at 23.4, 78ft rope, full ballast + lead...

I teach beginners at 70ft with less ballast, first few times out I keep them int he 16-18mph range and then when they're ready for jumping I get them up to about 21-22mph.

Wake 23.5 rope at 75. Full ballast and wegde

Surf 11.5

Ski tranier for the 20 month old, I'm assuming idle :)

Yep idle and IN the no wake zone.

Wakeboard at 23.4, 78ft rope, full ballast + lead...

I teach beginners at 70ft with less ballast, first few times out I keep them int he 16-18mph range and then when they're ready for jumping I get them up to about 21-22mph.

That's tough love. At 70ft, the distance from wake to wake is 15-20ft. Haha, no better way to learn than to go all out!

Wake Surf 9 - 11

Wakeboard - 16 - 23 (most learners run around 18 - 19 & 60' rope)

Waterski (2) - 23 - 30 (typically around 25)

Slalom = 28 - 36 (Typically 28 - 30 for learning)