Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drip Molded Malibu Decal Removal

catcando

I'd like to remove the lettering on the backof my '05 21LSV. I'm not a big fan of the "Luxury Tow Boat" call out and would like to replce with just a Malibu decal. Any hints/suggestions on how to remove this lettering with ease? I don't want to just take a heat gun to it if there's a better approach.

Thanks,

I just peeled mine off last weekend, used some goo-be-gone, washed it , waxed it and you can't even tell it was ever there.

Of course our boat is an '03 model, spends its time inside when it's not on the water and only has 183 hours on it.

I was looking at something like this from Bakes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MALIBU-BOATS-Wakesetter-Hull-Decal-04-05-Gold-Silver-/290666717511?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item43ad162147#ht_533wt_1163

Good luck and post some pics if you change it up.

My 'M' basically surfed itself off on the port side. I didn't like the looks of 'alibu', so I just peeled them off. They came off easy once I got a fingernail under them. Now I am left with 'bu'. Not sure I will keep it, but fingernails worked for me. Maybe they were already weakened from the surf wave, but I bet you could get yours off with a little persistence. I would not be so afraid of a heat gun, it will not hurt your gelcoat unless you get it on for way too long, and you would know that because you couldn't touch it.

Maybe start gently with a blow dryer if the heat gun scares you?

Edited by TallRedRider

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't sure how easily they would "peel" off. I'm more affraid of the heat causing issues with the decal than the gel/fiberglass. Just pulled some reggie decals off the snowmobiles. Maybe they heated up to much, but man they just fell aparts. I don't want this to be a mess.

You don't need to use a heat gun because they come off pretty easy but with a heat gun you only need a teenie bit of heat and they come off really fast.