Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust screens?

FXIGUY

So I wet slip my boat.......I know....I know....bad Bu owner..I pull it once a week and clean it spotless, but the wife lost her job this year and I cant spend the cash on a decent lift right now.....however....my dealer just told me a story of a muskrat getting inside the exhaust port and chewing it's way through a hose on a BU.... the owner was gone for the weekend and came home to his boat sitting on the bottom of the lake next to his pier.

Short of going to a clean air exhaust type thing, is there any slip on product that could prevent something like that happening? The total damage was over 16k...insurance covered it, but it was apparently a struggle to make that happen.

my buddy got a brand spanking new pontoon. one day he went out and there was a bunch of clam shells in the beck. Little bugger wanted to dine in and ate the wires too. Never saw the critter again :whistle:

duck tape?

muskrat tape?

sorry, just had to.

consider a light spring to keep the exhaust flappers closed?

or maybe something like a spring loaded curtain rod to keep tension on the flapper from the rear of the swim platform?

y, i know that curtain rod will corrode. that was the picture i had, build something cheesy from some $2 per 10' plastic conduit.

Happens pretty regularly near us, but it's usually the bellows on the I/O's that get sacrificed. Best thing is to make sure you have good insurance and that you will come out ahead if it happens.

Curious why you even bother to slip though if you pull it once a week. Mine gets slipped. It'll get pulled, but nowhere near that often.

Happens pretty regularly near us, but it's usually the bellows on the I/O's that get sacrificed. Best thing is to make sure you have good insurance and that you will come out ahead if it happens.

Curious why you even bother to slip though if you pull it once a week. Mine gets slipped. It'll get pulled, but nowhere near that often.

It gets pulled once a week to fuel and clean. Takes about an hour to wash/ vacuum and wipe down the interior with 303..then it goes right back in the water and it always looks good. Plus it's easier to pull it out than cart 40 gallons of fuel to the slip location. I'd rely on the insurance angle but dont want to loose possibly a few weeks of the season for repairs if something does happen. The dealer wound up drilling holes in the exhaust pipes on the boat I mentioned(he had chrome tips) and putting 2 screws in an X pattern to block entry. I'll probably just make some PVC caps and slip them on when it's docked. Thanks all for the suggestions!