Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sealed enclosure for Bow Speakers

Wake My Day

Has anyone tried to enclose the bow speakers or at least the space to increase speaker volume? My front speakers at 100 watt RMS ( properly amped), seem weak in comparison to my other in boat speakers that are enclosed. Can I purchase a plastic cone or possibly just try to close this space. Just curious if anyone else has tackled this job???

Thanks

Here are a few considerations when using rear isolation chambers.

There is little benefit with a flexible foam pod. The pod must be rigid.

There is zero reason to add such a device if the there is good front to rear acoustic isolation. The problem comes into play when the speaker is mounted on the edge of an open coaming pocket.

All coaxials are essentially an infinite baffle speaker so encasement in a small pod will raise the speaker resonance and as a result will raise the low frequency roll-off point. So the pod cannot cure the the loss of the lower midbass nor will it make it worse if you have the above scenario. However, the pod will eliminate the loss of damping and the direct cancellation. So you will see a marked decrease in distortion and a return to normal power handling.

If you can create a partition from a thin birch panel covered in carpet then you will have both the acoustic isolation and still maintain an infinite baffle.

David