Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat, want to replace all potential wear items 2004 23' LSV

Actually not completely new as I bought last August, but she's coming out of storage next week and I'm going to tackle making her mine which involves doing everything I can to make sure everything has been serviced.

I've already:

-Done the impeller

-Changed Oil, V-drive, Tranny fluids

-Spark Plugs

-Thorough inspection on belts and hoses. Previous owner did them last year according to the service records and it seems to be

-Rewired the god awful mess of a stereo

-"Fixed" the kill switch

Records also show:

-New fuel filter

However, the boat after running WOT for 5-10min on 3 different occasions started to feel like it was out of gas. My plan this spring is to pull the fuel filter and cut it open/replace to examine the condition. Surely could be some crap in the gas tank. Made me wonder if there are other things I should replace. For instance, is there a fuel/water separator filter on the boat?

While I am at it, anything else you'd change? Any thoughts on my get her hot and she shuts off situation? Not sure I want to pro-actively change the fuel pump...

I appreciate the help.

Sean

Actually not completely new as I bought last August, but she's coming out of storage next week and I'm going to tackle making her mine which involves doing everything I can to make sure everything has been serviced.

I've already:

-Done the impeller

-Changed Oil, V-drive, Tranny fluids

-Spark Plugs

-Thorough inspection on belts and hoses. Previous owner did them last year according to the service records and it seems to be

-Rewired the god awful mess of a stereo

-"Fixed" the kill switch

Records also show:

-New fuel filter

However, the boat after running WOT for 5-10min on 3 different occasions started to feel like it was out of gas. My plan this spring is to pull the fuel filter and cut it open/replace to examine the condition. Surely could be some crap in the gas tank. Made me wonder if there are other things I should replace. For instance, is there a fuel/water separator filter on the boat?

While I am at it, anything else you'd change? Any thoughts on my get her hot and she shuts off situation? Not sure I want to pro-actively change the fuel pump...

I appreciate the help.

Sean

No, not on that boat, just the filter.

Anodes are probably due to get changed if you have them. I have 2 in my ZF V-D. Because yours is an '04 I'm guessing it is a Walters V drive and I don't remember if or where they were located on my '06 Walters V-D?

WOT question was just on another thread...how many rpm's? may be rev limiter

Saw that thread, different phenomena. Let's say I don't run at WOT, but within a couple hundred RPM's. It's fine for 10 minutes and then acts like it is out of gas.

Obviously a fuel problem which means either Fuel Pump, Fuel filter, crappy fuel, injectors, or computer. Not sure what would make the fuel pump freak out and stop working after pumping a bunch if the tank were clean, but I've seen weird stuff happen.

After it stumbles and runs out of gas it doesn't like starting for a bit and acts like a boat that is out of gas. Then eventually everything gets hunky-dory and runs fine. Sometimes followed by small hiccups of no power surges.

It only happened 3x, so I was trying to find a pattern but other than extended high speed runs I couldn't...

For instance, is there a fuel/water separator filter on the boat?

No, not on that boat, just the filter.

Okay. Has anyone added one? Figured with the fuel vent being near submergable level it may be a good bit of insurance?

there are a few 'winterize' articles on this forum and some are quite comprehensive.

i suspect that most of your maintenance items will be covered there.

search the forum; one is located here http://www.themalibu...e-your-b

there are a few 'winterize' articles on this forum and some are quite comprehensive.

i suspect that most of your maintenance items will be covered there.

search the forum; one is located here http://www.themalibu...e-your-boat-r32

Thank you for the link. Before last winter I searched a ton to make sure that my winterization efforts were done correctly. The reason for this thread was two fold. One to see if there are any other things like the Anodes and such that I hadn't thought of, and two of course to see if anyone has any thoughts on my "out of gas" stumble.

The one thing I've been meaning to play with is to see if the level in the gas tank makes a difference in the stumble. Obviously not a cheap way to find something, but getting to burn a bunch sounds fun. She's full at the moment, so if it doesn't happen full and then starts once lower I'll assume that either the pickup for the fuel pump is weird or there is water/crap in the gas.

oat-r32

Okay. Has anyone added one? Figured with the fuel vent being near submergable level it may be a good bit of insurance?

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be done.

Saw that thread, different phenomena. Let's say I don't run at WOT, but within a couple hundred RPM's. It's fine for 10 minutes and then acts like it is out of gas.

Obviously a fuel problem which means either Fuel Pump, Fuel filter, crappy fuel, injectors, or computer. Not sure what would make the fuel pump freak out and stop working after pumping a bunch if the tank were clean, but I've seen weird stuff happen.

After it stumbles and runs out of gas it doesn't like starting for a bit and acts like a boat that is out of gas. Then eventually everything gets hunky-dory and runs fine. Sometimes followed by small hiccups of no power surges.

It only happened 3x, so I was trying to find a pattern but other than extended high speed runs I couldn't...

That actually sounds more like a vapor lock issue to me, BICBW. Strange time of year for that to be happening.

Gotta, agree with WG. Had the exact same issue on my '06 with an external fuel pump. One new fuel filter, a can of Star-tron (to brake the crud down) and the issue was gone. I did continue to always use the fan after that which I am sure helped. Up to that point I never ran the fan to cool the engine bay but the combination of time, E-85=water in tank and heat caused the fuel in the pump to vapor lock and it started to act like yours. The filter didn't appear to look bad when I ripped it open other than some floaties, but who knows.

If you can get your hands on some good non-ethanol, that might be worth trying before replacing things like the fuel pump. The last few years have seen a sharp increase in the number of vapor lock-related issues reported here, & I don't think that it's a coincidence that ethanol has become much more widely implemented in that time period.

I always run non-oxy 91, but the boat came with 10gal of gas in it that could be s***.

BTW, this happened last fall by the way, Sept/Oct. Boat's still in storage atm.

Also, I don't run the fan but can :)

Replace your cap and rotor for sure, honestly it should be a yearly maintenance item to inspect and replace as needed.

Do not add a fuel water separator to your fuel system, they cause air to form at the top of the filter which can cause issues with fuel delivery.

I trouble shot a similar "lagging" with a ton of money and shope visits...

Turned out that i just needed to clean the metal screen between the raw water intake pump and the engine. I have also had success with other boats with the same fix. If you don't know what I am referring to, there is a good chance this is the problem.

Trace the large hose leaving the raw water intake(impellor) pump to where it connects into your engine. Disconnect at the point it enters your engine. Run your fingers into the opening into the engine. You should find a metal mesh screen (more often than not, mine is gunked up with milfoil). This is a major cause of "sometimes issues" as the debry moves around and sometimes causes a problem and sometimes does not.

Good luck.

Great, really appreciate the ideas. Will conquer them all before the boat hits the lake. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow to pick her up.

To do list so far:

Clean raw water intake mesh screen

Inspect/change cap/rotor

Can of star-tron

New fuel filter

Replace anodes

Check timing

Curious on the vapor lock, I'll do some searching but has the cure been to insulate the fuel lines, add "radiators" of sort to them or just to suffer through it?

Replace your cap and rotor for sure, honestly it should be a yearly maintenance item to inspect and replace as needed.

Do not add a fuel water separator to your fuel system, they cause air to form at the top of the filter which can cause issues with fuel delivery.

Also, any water can freeze and the canister explodes if you forget to remove it for winter layup causing smelly gas in your bilge (another mistake I'll never make again)...

Great, really appreciate the ideas. Will conquer them all before the boat hits the lake. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow to pick her up.

To do list so far:

Clean raw water intake mesh screen

Inspect/change cap/rotor

Can of star-tron

New fuel filter

Replace anodes

Check timing

Curious on the vapor lock, I'll do some searching but has the cure been to insulate the fuel lines, add "radiators" of sort to them or just to suffer through it?

Before you do anything with that, I'd just try some clean, known gas. If you've been using what's in the tank & they didn't add Stabil to it last Fall, it could be as simple as bad gas. Vapor lock is something that is much more prevalent in the summer, although it's really increased in frequency over the past 4-5 years from what I've seen. It used to be a lot more rare.

I ran the gas down as low as I could comfortable and then filled with non-oxy and stabilized before winter rolled in. Figure almost everything on the list is worth doing even if it does nothing for the problem which is why the thread is titled as such. Plus, if I can avoid being stranded that'd be great.

When it "runs out of gas" it has only taken a few minutes to get back to where she'll start.

Conveniently once done I'll get to test it and not feel guilty about ripping through a bunch of gas. Maybe I'll get her down as far as I can and get home and then pump the rest out to start from scratch with a clean tank.

Wait a second, vaporlock? When the boat acts like it runs out of gas, it that during your 10 minute near WOT run? Or after and you shut it down and try to restart a few minutes later? Vapor lock is usually caused when the boat is shut down and the excessive heat from the engine turns the fuel in the fuel pump and nearby fuel lines into vapor, thus a chugging stalling effect and the fuel pump loses prime. Never heard of it in the middle of a run. Maybe I missed something....