Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water Temp Sensor Location Monsoon 340 ?

Can someone guide me to where the water temp sensor is located on a 2006 Monsoon 340 ? From my research I was told there are two one close to the ECM . Need help on locating both PLEASE .... Thanks in advance !

On the front of the intake manifold, near the thermostat housing. The one for the gauge had one wire and the one for the ECM has two.

• 7 years later...

I have a 2005 wakesetter with a 340 Monsoon and there is only one temp sender I can find that must be to the ECM (which I replaced).  It has two wires (yellow and black). My temperature gauge  is not working and am trying to troubleshoot. Where would the other one be? I looked all over the engine. The black and yellow wiring for the temp sender above merges with a tan wire that isn’t attached to anything (and nothing around to attach it to). 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I haven’t resolved the issue. I rolled the dice and used it without the temp gauge working last summer - but don’t want to do it again this summer. Crawled all over the engine and checked other diagrams and am convinced there is only one temp sender for ECM and Gauge.  I guess I will have to try replacing the gauge next.  Unfortunately the closest Malibu shop is 4 hours away.  I would appreciate any recommendations on next steps.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:55 AM, Lake Luver said:

The black and yellow wiring for the temp sender above merges with a tan wire that isn’t attached to anything (and nothing around to attach it to). 

Ill take a look on my boat and see if i can trace that wire (tan) if you havent figured that out.

Formulaben, I saw your diagram posted earlier. It is a good reference but there are no sensors in location 1 or 2 on my boat. That’s why I am assuming there is only one temp sensor.

17 hours ago, Lake Luver said:

Formulaben, I saw your diagram posted earlier. It is a good reference but there are no sensors in location 1 or 2 on my boat. That’s why I am assuming there is only one temp sensor.

Just for completeness, that is a photo of the top of the engine looking down and with all of the decorative covers, etc. removed.  The water pump is at the top of the photo. 

What do you see in those locations if you don't have sensors? 

Can you find a tan wire in your engine harness and trace it to both ends? 

Just to make sure since I don't see where you mention ENGINE water temp...we are all assuming that is what you mean.  The boats also have lake water temp, so don't want to be confused.

5 hours ago, justgary said:

Just for completeness, that is a photo of the top of the engine looking down and with all of the decorative covers, etc. removed.  The water pump is at the top of the photo. 

What do you see in those locations if you don't have sensors? 

Can you find a tan wire in your engine harness and trace it to both ends? 

Locations one and two are blocked and have nothing in them. I replaced the sensor at location 3. That sensor has a black and yellow wire coming out which drops down about 10-12 inches where a tan wire comes out of the plastic shield with a rubber connection end that just hangs there and there is nothing around to attach it to.  

3 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

Just to make sure since I don't see where you mention ENGINE water temp...we are all assuming that is what you mean.  The boats also have lake water temp, so don't want to be confused.

Yes, Engine water temp gauge is not working. All other gauges are working fine.

1 hour ago, Lake Luver said:

Locations one and two are blocked and have nothing in them. I replaced the sensor at location 3. That sensor has a black and yellow wire coming out which drops down about 10-12 inches where a tan wire comes out of the plastic shield with a rubber connection end that just hangs there and there is nothing around to attach it to.  

Are the plugs in locations 1 and 2 painted like the engine block, or does it look like someone added one?  Can you take a picture of the tan wire and rubber connection?  I would be you a beer that is the wiring for your dash gauge.

Turn the ignition switch to the run position to power the gauges. Take the loose tan wire and ground it to the engine. The temp gauge should move if that's the correct wire.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I grounded the tan wire and the temperature gauge didn’t move. It is just an extra wire.  I will try replacing the gauge and see if that works. The tachometer has been working intermittently so maybe the gauges are going bad.

To see how the gauges react, I pulled the connection from the oil pressure sensor and the gauge cycled-up and down. But when disconnecting the temp sensor the gauge does not cycle.

• 2 months later...

I have the same '05 Monsoon 340 with the yellow black wires to a temp sensor and a free tan wire not attached to anything.  My temperature gauge in the instrument panel suddenly stopped operating.  Has anyone determined if there is a separate temp sensor for this gauge? If so can you please post a photo?

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 7:52 AM, formulaben said:

Not sure what year this engine is, but it also has the older buzzer sensor.  Newer motors used the ECM for the overtemp signal.

mrwieo.jpg

Looking to replace 2 and 3 on your picture. Do happen to have the right part numbers for those 2 sensors? Much appreciate!

Edited by CraigSim