Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw water pump replacement

I have a 2000 21' vlx with a 325 indmar in it. The raw water pump needs replaceing and I have tried to get it off. The pump base is stuck to the pulley that sits between it and the harmonic balancer. I took off the belt, thinking that I could take pulley and all off but it only moves about a 1/16" and will not come off either. Do any of you have any suggestions or is there something else holding it all on?

Thanks,

3 allen bolts and friction is all that holds the raw water pump on.

Tapping with a hammer may loosen up some of the corrosion, then a prybar should get it out no problem

As I recall if the weep hole is leaking, the bearings are shot. I haven't replaced it on an Indmar 350 but the car/truck versions can be tricky spotting all the bolts holding it on..... especially if your working in the confines of the VLX. Seems like the base, pulley & HB all come off the engine together.

Not to not answer the question, but how do you know bearings are shot? won't turn over? noise? water leaking? IF so, just repalce the rubber seal about the size of a nickel in the backside of the impeller housing (engine side) once impeller removed. Might be easier to inspect that if out anyway, but yes just teh 3 allen bolts hold on.

This may be stating the obvious but you've got the bracket off to the side removed too, right? Only think holding it to the motor is the 3 bolts. There is a dowell that sticks out I believe that centers it to the crank. This is probably what is holding you up. Pry bar and a bit of rocking it back and forth a few times should break it free.

The bracket is removed and I have the three bolts out and the pump base. The pump base is stuck inside the pulley. I have been instructed to heat it up and try to break it loose. The pulley will not com out of the harmonic balancer either and I was informed that there is a 5/8" bolt in the center of the pulley. The pulley does move around and has some slack but stops from coming out. There is no way to get to that bolt with the pump base attached. I will try to heat it up and see if I can break it loose.

Thanks again,

I dont' know what you're talking about any more to be honest. The pump does not attach to any pulley (unless you mean the round part for belt?) nor do you remove the harmonic balancer nor for that matter remove anything related to a pulley. The belt stays attached ....do you already have a new pump to see what is coming off the engine? Starting to sound to me like you're trying to take off "too much".

Edited by 85 Barefoot

The more I read I think you're calling the "pump base" the wheel spun by the pulley which it is NOT. you do not need to worry about ANY pulleys, just remove the 3 allen bolts and remove only the "black" part, not the silvery wheel that pump attaches to that has the pulley.

Yeah, if memory serves me right those same 3 bolts is all that holds on the pulley too. The large bolt down the center is for removing the harmonic balancer. With the 3 bolts out, it should all come off, short of corrosion on the pilot in the center. And what Pete said about rubber in the balancer. I'd whack it with a rubber mallet before torching it.

pb blaster going to attack that rubber inner core?

Don't know.

Bottom line, the pump should come off by whacking it side to side with a rubber mallet.

I've had mine off and don't remember anything weird about getting it off. I think the OP's is just hanging up due to a little rust / corrsion and / or the pin.

Hit it with your wife's purse! :rofl: (sorry, I've been wanting to use that line - thanks to who originally said it)

The holes on my pulley (behind the pump) have raised edges that indent into the backside of the pump. It's kind of a force fit so any paint, rust, etc will keep it in place after you remove the three bolts. Give it a whack...

It dosent have anything to do with removal of the pump. I had thought that since the pump was stuck, I could take the pulley off with the pump and work on it on a bench. You can't do that because it has a 5/8" bolt behind the pump.

That was my original question in the first post.

Thanks again for the help.

• 6 years later...

I had a similar problem today.  Couldn't get one bolt loose.  Tried heat gun and WD40 to no avail.  Had a buddy come over and we put a 2nd bolt back in and he held it while I turned the tight bolt.  Voila.  Guess they just need lots of strength (and counter-force since the whole thing spins).