Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do newer malibus have gas vent line on starboard side?

wakeboarder3780

Just curious if any of the newer malibus have vent lines on the starboard side instead of port. Perhaps an option when buying? Just seems like a good idea if everyone surfs the same side to never have to worry about water getting into your gas vent line.

We moved one on a VLX for a buddy that kept getting water in the fuel tank. He only surfed regular side. We put a matching one on the other side. The factory one got a short rubber hose with a bolt plugging it so water wouldn't go into the bilge. He could have had the vent removed and the hole filled but no one ever knew the factory one was a fake. With the new fuel caps, I'm not sure there is a vent fitting any more.

Can the new fuel caps be installed on older models (2010 Wakesetter)? I usually have a lot of weight in the boat and surf regular side and when the boat is full of gas it seems to leak quite a bit. Would the new caps fix this or do I have to move the vent hose to the other side?

Can the new fuel caps be installed on older models (2010 Wakesetter)? I usually have a lot of weight in the boat and surf regular side and when the boat is full of gas it seems to leak quite a bit. Would the new caps fix this or do I have to move the vent hose to the other side?

they have gone to an automotive style of fueling system and cars do not have vent lines...

We moved one on a VLX for a buddy that kept getting water in the fuel tank. He only surfed regular side. We put a matching one on the other side. The factory one got a short rubber hose with a bolt plugging it so water wouldn't go into the bilge. He could have had the vent removed and the hole filled but no one ever knew the factory one was a fake. With the new fuel caps, I'm not sure there is a vent fitting any more.

Funny you mention this, I was considering doing the exact same thing. Little nervous about drilling into the boat, but who isn't. Couple layers of painters tape, drill a small pilot hole and keep stepping up right? I tried searching bakes for all SORTS of combinations to try to find the through hull vent fitting and could NOT find it at all. Perhaps I need to call them and get this rocking. Any tips if I plan on going this route? Did you guys chamfer the edges of the drill hole or is that not necessary since there is no stress on the point?

Edit: I should say a small pilot hole followed by the correct size hole saw. You want to use a hole saw right?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

My 2012 VLX has a vent on the Port side near the fuel filler cap. It is a new vent design that is supposed to have a ball check valve in it so that it doesn't allow water into the fuel tank. It may also only let air in (and no fuel vapors out) to prevent the fuel tank from drawing a vacuum as fuel is consumed.

All automotive fuel tanks have a vent, they just don't vent directly to atmosphere anymore. They are plumbed into a carbon canister that collects the vapors. The carbon canister is then plumbed into the intake manifold, and during light cruising a valve opens allowing the fuel vapors to be consumed by the engine. The new Malibu system may work in a similar way since they are all now California compliant and because when poking around the rear ballast plumbing I saw what looked like a small carbon canister but didn’t look at it too closely.

Funny you mention this, I was considering doing the exact same thing. Little nervous about drilling into the boat, but who isn't. Couple layers of painters tape, drill a small pilot hole and keep stepping up right? I tried searching bakes for all SORTS of combinations to try to find the through hull vent fitting and could NOT find it at all. Perhaps I need to call them and get this rocking. Any tips if I plan on going this route? Did you guys chamfer the edges of the drill hole or is that not necessary since there is no stress on the point?

Edit: I should say a small pilot hole followed by the correct size hole saw. You want to use a hole saw right?

Use the normal operation for drilling through the Hull. Any hole drilled through the hull should be chamfered to help stop spider cracking of the gel.

We got the actual vent through our LOCAL Malibu dealer.

The fuel caps between the older style caps and vent system is not interchangeable with the newer cap that was designed to implement specific EPA fuel systems compliance. Both systems while achieving the same thing don’t vent the same way.