Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dirty Bilge...best way to clean?

RiverRunner

Over the weekend I unknowingly had some excess oil in the bilge and that mixed with water and left a film of oil in it, anyone have an easy/best way to clean it off.

What about the areas you can not reach, I did not know if there is some kind of degreaser that you could do that with?

I squirt some dish soap (the enviro friendly kind - same thing we use for binding lube) in the bilge every time I take the boat out (or whenever I remember). The lake water and the sloshing around keeps it nice and sparkly!

I use a bilge cleaner that you can buy at any marine retailer. Put that in with a bunch of water & drive it around a bit (disconnect the auto bilge) - it works good to put some water in the bilge when you're done at the lake with the bilge cleaner, then it will clean itself on the way home. When you get home rinse it out really good or go to a spray off car wash do the rinsing there. If you're really anal about getting it thoroughly rinsed, get as much of it as you can at the car wash then leave some extra water in there for the drive home, then drain it when you get there.

Out of sight, out of mind :)

I'm calling BS on that one. ;) You're anal as I am on cleaning the boat.

I'll second that one....my bet is ole Edwin pulls the engine for a good bilge cleaning after every other time out.

:lol::lol:

Out of sight, out of mind :)

I'm calling BS on that one. ;) You're anal as I am on cleaning the boat.

I'll second that one....my bet is ole Edwin pulls the engine for a good bilge cleaning after every other time out.

:lol::lol:

Wait, I'm supposed to keep the bilge clean too?!! Shocking.gif

Think of it as colon cleansing for your boat...

Wait, wouldn't colon cleansing be more like feather-dusting your exhaust pipes? I see the bilge cleaning as analogous to taking an Alka-Seltzer®.

Nice to see you finally have a decent avatar (your OWN for a change). Now we just have to do something about the preposterous signature.