Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decal Stick On - Tricks and Tips

All:

I was able to track down a new "wakesetter" decal for my 2002 @ No Wake, to replace the one I peeled off wakesurfing last year. We'll see if this one with new adhesive can handle the water passing by!

Anyway, I want to stick on this new decal and do it right - they are not cheap ($70 bucks). I used some "goof off" to remove all of the old adhesive. I am sure that stuff also stripped off any potential wax build-up, etc. I then used soap and water to wash away any remaining goof off.

Is there anything else I should do to "prep" the hull before I re-apply the new decal?

-- Mike

Just something to consider, is how to put the sticker on.

I know when I put a replacement decal that was rather large on a jetski, it was VERY difficult to get it on without having bubbles and humps in the sticker. I basicaly just tried to put it on carefully, but the result was mixed as best.

I remember reading later, that some people suggest putting soapy water on the stick side of the sticker (hairspray might work too?), then putting the sticker on, and using a squegee to move the water out from under the sticker, leaving it bubble free, and smooth,

I'd research the sticker application.

I haven't done it on a boat, but I've put on a couple large decals and always used soapy water. Then squegee as suggested above. I'm not sure if the soapy water will have a negative affect since it will have water passing over it. I've done it with decals on counter tops, so that was not a worry.

I use the soapy water as well when I do large stickers. Just do it on a Sunday night so it has all week to dry out before putting the boat in water. Put the boat in the sun after you install the sticker when possible, too before the maiden voyage.

I suggest the soapy water and letting it dry during the week as well. I think the drying is key especially if the decal is the raised letters type. The squegee method may not be as effective on raised letters.

Thanks everyone - it is drip molded decal so squeegy would be difficult, but soapy water would help to center it perfectly and then work the moisture out from behind it.