Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MTX tower speakers

40oz

Does anyone have MTX tower speakers on their Bu? I blew one of my tower speakers today and am looking for a replacement that wont break the bank. MTX seems to be a good deal as far as price but wanted feedback before buying.

Are you wanting too only replace your blown speaker or go with a new tower set up? Of going with a new set up what's your goal? Most people on here seem to go with Exile or Wetsounds on their tower. Again depends what ya want.

Even though only one is blown, i am looking to replace both. I would like to find a pair for 400 or less, thus why the MTX are appealing to me. I am open to suggestions or a review of the MTX brand if anyone is running them on their boat.

I just purchased the Kicker 11KMT60 tower speakers and will be installing them either this week or next. I will post a review of them up after installation, but I was able to find these for $300 and I think that they will be plenty for my purpose.

What are you currently running?

I am running Exile Xm9s powered by a harpoon. I love them and will add a second pair next year. I knew I wanted to be able to hear music while wake boarding and after doing a lot of research that's the direction I went. Cost a little more but I also know I don't have to replace them in a year cause I bought cheap and didn't like it. That's just me though and what I was trying to accomplish. If you are looking to just hear the music in the boat your MTX could be fine.

I am currently running a Twister F4 am (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/529555-audio-system-twister-amps-made-italy.html) and two Clarion 6 1/2 tower speakers. Since the amp is a four channel, I have one channel bridged on a 12 inch sub and the other channel going to the tower speakers. There are also 4 Alpine 6 1/2 speakers in the boat being powered by my Kenwood head unit.

Today I found that the tower speakers can be removed from the canisters. I am thinking about replacing just the speakers with something more high end. I will take some pics and post this weekend.

Again it all depends what you want out of your tower speakers. With the can style set I dont think you will ever be able to hear them while boarding.

I can hear the music while boarding, but i have to really crank it up. I looked at the horn loaded speakers but couldnt find a price on the Exiles. Other brands were anywhere from 500 to 1000. Are there any affordable horn loaded tower speakers out there?

I can hear the music while boarding, but i have to really crank it up. I looked at the horn loaded speakers but couldnt find a price on the Exiles. Other brands were anywhere from 500 to 1000. Are there any affordable horn loaded tower speakers out there?

Not really.

I have done a lot of work on my boat over the winter and to be honest I didn't even plan on upgrading my tower speakers until next winter. My boss (you know who that is) told me that I needed to drop that from my list. I ended up finding the kickers as a good replacement without breaking the bank. I sold my old tower speakers and ended up spending $75 out of pocket on the kickers.

They are horn loaded speakers, but not what the stereo world would consider true HLCDs. Kicker does claim that they project the sound 50ft behind the boat though. And properly powered, I'm sure you could hear them wakeboarding.

Like I said, it might be a week or two before I get them installed, but I'll be sure to give a full review of them. In my case with $75 out of pocket and I'm no longer relying on car audio speakers on my tower, I'm sure it was a good upgrade. Sounds like you are in the same boat as me.

Edited by CincyVLX

If you read up on those, they are bullet knockoffs and have mixed reviews at best.

I almost ordered a pair, but the two things that I ordered from bullet lines (Wakeboard rope and handle) were cheap knockoffs that broke in less than 3 months of use. Once I realized that these were probably on par with the quality of their ski ropes, I started to look for other options.

If you wait and you are patient you will find guys selling some of the older Wetsounds HLCDs in order to get into the new Rev series. Same with Exile, folks are constantly upgrading and trying to sell some of their stuff off at considerable discounts.

I had a set of Pro80s on sale on here and Cragis for nearly 30 days... was asking for $625 shipped, ended up seeling them for $525 meeting up with the buyer locally off of a Craigs ad. With Pro-80s and some of the other HLCDs in the $500 range, Pro60s likely in the 350-450 range used, I would highly reccomend to either wait till you can afford new ones, or be patient and wait till someone has what you are looking for in used. Craigs and Ebay often have this stuff also.

Good call. I'm sure there are people upgrading from xm7s to xm9s. I think Exile has demo ones for sale on their web site for a cheaper price. If that's what you decide you like.

Edited by Gaffster01

Not really.

I have done a lot of work on my boat over the winter and to be honest I didn't even plan on upgrading my tower speakers until next winter. My boss (you know who that is) told me that I needed to drop that from my list. I ended up finding the kickers as a good replacement without breaking the bank. I sold my old tower speakers and ended up spending $75 out of pocket on the kickers.

They are horn loaded speakers, but not what the stereo world would consider true HLCDs. Kicker does claim that they project the sound 50ft behind the boat though. And properly powered, I'm sure you could hear them wakeboarding.

Like I said, it might be a week or two before I get them installed, but I'll be sure to give a full review of them. In my case with $75 out of pocket and I'm no longer relying on car audio speakers on my tower, I'm sure it was a good upgrade. Sounds like you are in the same boat as me.

I'm going on my 4th season with older style Kicker KMT6's. I like the newer grill on yours BTW. I think I'm running somewhere around 150RMS to each of them and unless you're beside someone with Exiles, Wetsounds, etc. they sound pretty good, many many others will disagree and say they're ugly, and one mentioned that they look like tupperware hanging from the tower :biggrin: But they get the job done for me right now until a killer deal on the above mentioned speakers comes available at the right time. Definately easy to hear while surfing, not so much while boarding but I'm not paying attention to the music then anyways... JM2C.

Do you have a modle number on those kickers. May purchase a pair to hold me over...

Edited by JIMJOM

Those are the real Bullets. I know Earmark carries them and Dave from there is a good guy, they are on par price wise with the Exiles and Wetsounds you should really listen to all of them and see what you like. I would not buy from a non repatiable dealer and for sure not the knock offs. ] check this link.

[/media Edited by Gaffster01

http://youtu.be/rB9g23y_D7g

Okay, so im sold!!!

Ha thats an old video of a crew member, formerly known as 06! I am running the same speakers, the Hollowpoints with a JL 600/4 HD amp. The new Neo Hollowpoints are amazing.

Edited by old skool malibu

Those are the real Bullets. I know Earmark carries them and Dave from there is a good guy, they are on par price wise with the Exiles and Wetsounds you should really listen to all of them and see what you like. I would not buy from a non repatiable dealer and for sure not the knock offs. ] check this link.

The more i research the more i come to the conclusion that i will be talking to the "boss" about why it is essential to spend $1000 on two speakers.

Good idea! Don't want to make the boss mad lol... If you can try to listen to a few and see what sounds goid to the both of you. Good luck!

I want to say thanks to Gaffster01 for putting me in touch with Dave at Earmark. I talked to him today for about 20 minutes picking his brain. I have come to the conclusion that I will be ordering these ( http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=17549&cat=327&page=1 ) early next week. Since wakeboarding is not too big here in South Alabama, there are no audio shops where I can try before I buy, but Dave seemed to know his stuff and I will take his word on these. If anyone has other information on these speakers I am all ears.