Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Type of wood for trailer guides

What is the best type of wood for trailer guides? Do you coat the wood or just use it bare?

On my last boat for my trailer bunks I used pressure treated and waterproofed it. But I know this may have corrosion. So not going this route.

I am thinking of using pine or cypress and waterproofing. Its going to be about 5ft x 4 inches x 1 inch.

I would say treated 2x6 would be the easiest to get, if you get treated, just cover with carpet. 2x6 dimensions are 1-1/2" x 5-1/2". If you can find cypress, that may not be a bad route either since it does not rot like pine, will get several more years out of it. The only thing about cypress is, I think it is stiffer than pine so it may not flex/conform as good to the bottom of your hull like pine will. Most trailer manufacturers use treated pine.

I looked into cypress not to long ago and could not find any, and that is hard to believe living in Louisiana since we have cypress trees everywhere.

I'm in the process of doing mine. I'm using #2 Btr pressure treated 2x6's from Lowe's. I also need to replace the boards on the insides of the fenders. Not sure what I'm gonna use for that.

Edited by jcochrane007

In the past I have used Pressure Treated Pine 2x6 that you can get an home depot or lowes. Used Stainless Steel Lag Bolts from Fastenal and rubber backed marine grade carepet with Stainless Staples.

Got a little crazy and routered all the top side edges of the bunks in order to take the edge down.

Carpet will typically go before the wood does.

jcochrane, Use pressure treated plywood for your wheel wells. As for bunks cedar is a good option because it has natural preservative in it that helps againts rot and decay, besides it smells really good when its wet!

I used plastic/synthetic siding for the inside of my fender wells - covered with extra bunk carpeting. I used a small aluminum angle at the bottom to prevent sagging/warping in the heat.

The plywood backing that was on the fender wells before warped into the inside of the tires.

DO NOT USE PREASURE TREATED ANYTHING! Preasure treated lumber is now treated with copperasitate. This compound will eat everything but galvinized metal. The galvinized has to meet a certain thickness before it will hold up. The pt lumber will literaly eat thru your paint and trailer. I am currently on multiple jobs where contractors used plain jain nuts bolts and nails. we are finding stuff two and three years old where the metal will fall apart in your hands. Unless your trailer is under water all the time plain jain lumber will be just fine. Use galvinized nuts and bolts with ss staples on the carpet.

Edited by liljohn
DO NOT USE PREASURE TREATED ANYTHING! Preasure treated lumber is now treated with copperasitate. This compound will eat everything but galvinized metal. The galvinized has to meet a spacitic thickness before it will hold up. The pt lumber will literaly eat thru your paint and trailer. I am currently on multiple jobs where contractors used plain jain nuts bolts and nails. we are finding stuff two and three years old where the metal will fall apart in your hands. Unless your trailer is under water all the time plain jain lumber will be just fine. Use galvinized nuts and bolts with ss staples on the carpet.

Good to know! I just had my fence rebuilt and I think I need to check out which type of fasteners they used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk