Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Freeze Damage

nab101eg

I think when you run the drain pumps dry, at some point they stop moving water, and whatever amount of water is in the line between the pump and the drain fitting comes back when you turn the pump off. In addition, there is always some residual amount of water left in the tank. We are at 4700 ft ASL, and it's not uncommon to go for a month with subzero temperatures during the winter. The drain pumps for all 4 tanks are in the rear part of the tanks, so I've always stored our boats leaning forward. Whatever water is left in the tank just freezes up in the front part of it. Never had a problem so far.

The alternative would be to dump a bunch of antifreeze in the tanks, but I don't like doing that. I only put antifreeze in the heater, and that I remove prior to putting the boat back on the water.

i thought all the tanks and pumps were seperate also?? doesn't each one have its own fill and drain and seperate lines??

oh yea, and find a different shop, for $500 they didn't even run the pumps dry or warranty their work? Kinda rediculous

They should be separate. I have not seen any malibu's with a single intake that would cause the boat to fill with water if you used the rear only. You are correct to think that you could just not use the center ballast until it is fixed. There is a separate through hull you should just turn off.

I think you are getting a runaround from your current shop on that point.

The stock tanks are all separate. Each tank has a fill & drain pump. The center tank pumps are located inside the center hatch to the driver's left. The pump on the left side is the fill pump, right side is the drain. The fill hose goes across the top of the tank itself & comes up thru the floor inside the spotters seat near the walkthru bulkhead. Then it goes back down to a fill valve in the hull bottom in the center hatch.

I think this is right on the 247 too. This is how the last 3 or 4 boats I've played with are setup.

My 2006 has the ballast that comes up through the driver's side, not the passenger compartment. I think we had a thread about that a while back....not sure we found any rhyme or reason why some are on the port and others starboard. Left vs. right handed ballast installer at the factory?

Edited by TallRedRider