Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX Wakesetter Rudder Broke Off?

mdparrish47

I have a 2007 Malibu Wakesetter VLX. We had another 100 hour service done on the boat this week. At the dealership, they ran into the trailer with another boat. Totally destroyed the fender that had to be replaced by the dealer. We took the boat to the water and on our 3rd pull of the day there was this noise as the wheel went non-responsive. We thought it may have been the cable but as we pulled the boat out of the water, the rudder was completely gone. We looked at the prop and fins but we hit nothing? There is no other damage to the prop or anywhere else. Is it possible that the dealer caused during damaging the trailer?

Have you ever heard of a Rudder falling completely off?

That is crazy, I guess depending on where they hit your boat would determine if they damaged it. Are they suppose to inspect/tighten any thing regarding the rudder at a service? How did you make it back to the dock with no steering, better yet, how did you maintain control? I was in my buddy's v drive when the bolt from the steering cable to the rudder came off. He lost control and it sent us into a spin and almost ejected all of us. Scary for sure.

Did you look under to see if it sheared off, or did it come loose and fall off?

Edited by wakebrdr94

I actually have heard of this. My buddy has a 247RX and the rudder fell off on one of his first trips out. I cna't recall what caused it, but the dealer replaced it under warranty. He hadn't hit anything either.

My cousin's older MC Tristar had the rudder fall off in about 10 feet of water. He retrieved it and inspection showed a void in the casting which broke the shaft in a hard turn. The top of the shaft was still attached to the cable. Did your rudder break or fall out?