Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to Get In Shape

Baddog

The way this winter has been going in the East (i.e. a non-winter because it has been too warm) we will be back skiing sooner rather than later.

Toward that end, what do you do/recommend for getting in proper skiing shape (and wakeboarding shape, if you must)?

Edited by Baddog

I try and run 5 days a week. If I have been away from running for a while I will start in by walking 5 minutes, running 10, and then walking 5 more minutes. This usually lasts a week or so then I just try to run 3 miles including a 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down. When the weather starts getting nice (spring term) I will probably ride my bike to school once or twice a week also.

Row row row your boat, rowing machine or similar device.

Cardio....to each his own. I try to mix it up so I don't get too board.

Squats.

absolutely, I can do a some what of a rowing exercise on my bowflex it works great! But as far as the squats.... well maybe I need to tighten up.

I started 3 weeks ago and I'm 20lbs. down just 15-20 more to go!!!!

I thought everyone was full of it when they said you will gain when you get married!!!!

Boy was wrong 8 months 35lbs. later!!!!!! that sux !!!!!!!

Edited by rbh98

I'm stoked for the Ski Clinic-so I've been working my butt off this winter. Typically, I try to stay active through the winter anyway but the Spring Clinic gives me motivation! Plus my brother want me to run in a 25K (15.5 mi)in the Spring and that has me freaked out!

-Cardio 6 days (3 days Treadmill and 3 days Elliptical-30 minutes each day).

-Strength training 3 days/30 minutes each day. (4 sets 12 reps alternating-chest and arms, back and shoulders, abs and legs).

Luckily I can do the Cardio during my lunch break through the week. It keeps me away from the burger joints too... Biggrin.gif

Rest on Sunday

I have my handle tied off the leg of my treadmill and I practice holding my lean for several minutes to keep the muscle memory going.

The best exercise is what D-goose said Beer.gif Except, I prefer Vodka and 7up plus Rockon.gif but since it is almost boating season, I actually found the best exercise. Tae-bo and the firm. I alternate weekly 3x week tae-bo 2x week the firm the next week swithch the routine. It is awesome. Kicks your tushy into gear.Fast result.. NO PLAYIN.

Play basketball two or three nights a week(over 40 league) and go to physical therapy now that I found out I don't need back surgery. Add to that a couple B-12 shots at nite(12 oz. Bud's). Baddog; I think your right about the early season this year in NJ. Where do you ski in Jersey. Up till 5 years ago, I did all my NJ skiing in the Raritan Bay and the creeks that feed into it. But since my kids won't ski in rainbow covered salt water we go to Lake Hopatcong too. Weekdays only.

I switch every night from lifting to running. When I lift I will go 2 sets back to back and go through each lift as hard as I can for about 12-15 reps. My main focus is core strength, I also want to increase my leg strength. Anything I can do now to help reduce first set soreness and throughout season injuries is the best that I can hope to accomplish. The running is just to help keep my body used to pulling in a lot of oxygen and it helps to rejuvinate in between those first few sets.

Rip, you go boy!

Workout 4 to 5 times a week at the gym, weights and cardio. But now I'm thinking I need a trampoline. Hea I don't see any snow in that pic. So it's gotta be warm enough to board right!

Workout 4 to 5 times a week at the gym, weights and cardio. But now I'm thinking I need a trampoline. Hea I don't see any snow in that pic. So it's gotta be warm enough to board right!

nope... not warm enough yet... or no one is going. That was taken over the summer. Jumping on the trampoline is harder, you have to land alot cleaner.

Play basketball two or three nights a week(over 40 league) and go to physical therapy now that I found out I don't need back surgery. Add to that a couple B-12 shots at nite(12 oz. Bud's). Baddog; I think your right about the early season this year in NJ. Where do you ski in Jersey. Up till 5 years ago, I did all my NJ skiing in the Raritan Bay and the creeks that feed into it. But since my kids won't ski in rainbow covered salt water we go to Lake Hopatcong too. Weekdays only.

Electricjohn,

I keep my boat at Lee's County Marina on Hopatcong and ski there almost exclusively at the dawn of light on weekends (before Wally wakes up from his hangover) and near the close of light during the week. We should get together for some of these, I'm always looking for other water sports junkies to go. I have often thought of skiing Budd lake on the weekends because there are rarely more than a couple of boats out there, but it is so shallow and the leaking septics do tend to cause concern.

I've been riding the mtb or road bike (sometimes trainer) at least 3 times a week. I've also for the first time ever kinda started to watch what I eat. Before I used to "watch" what I eat, I mean I'd watch all of it while I ate it! Now, I'm trying to do the right thing.

nope... not warm enough yet... or no one is going. That was taken over the summer. Jumping on the trampoline is harder, you have to land alot cleaner.

Doesn't the lack of a board on your feet make jumping on the tramp a little easier? I've not tried any inverts and I'm wondering about using my buddy's tramp to train before I go for it. I've heard of people jumping with the board strapped on, but that seems a bit un-natural and I don't know if it will help.

Use your buddy's tramp only with his permission. :)

I switch it up.

Monday night: Basketball

Tuesday night: Lift and core exercises with balance ball

Wed night: Bike on the trainer for at least 40 mins

Thurs night: Lift and core exercises with the slalom handle (amazing the exercises you can come up with with just a handle)

Fri night: Snowmobile

Sat: Snowmobile (as the trails get rougher, the exercise gets more intense... at least the way I ride it does. I try to stand in rough trails for 15 miles or so at a time to really burn the quads hard.)

Sun: Snowmobile

Doesn't the lack of a board on your feet make jumping on the tramp a little easier? I've not tried any inverts and I'm wondering about using my buddy's tramp to train before I go for it. I've heard of people jumping with the board strapped on, but that seems a bit un-natural and I don't know if it will help.

Jumping with out a board is easier than jumping with a board. I made a trampoline board a few years ago. 3/4" plywood cut into a rectangle just slightly larger than my standard foot placement. I think it was 36"x18" or around there. I mounted some old snowboard bindings to it and rounded the corners and then used a router to smooth all the edges - don't want to rip up the tramp. It made things REAL interesting. Either way jumping on the tramp is a great workout and good practice for "air awarness" and handle placement. Using a board makes it much more difficult but just jumping really does help.

I have jumped on the trampoline with my board before, but i only did grabs and small spins. It did help me with my grabs since you are actully doing them and are in the air. but if you land wrong, things can go bad very quickly. So in place of that I have an old skateboard deck that I use to play around on.

As far as it being easier to land with out the board, yes it is easier, but in the rain the trampoline is very slick, so if you land heavy on your heels, you'll slip out onto your butt.

We just started running stairs couple weeks ago, and pull on a rope. Added the medicine ball twist the other night. Its staying light longer after work finally so we'll all be in the water soon Yahoo.gif

I've also for the first time ever kinda started to watch what I eat. . . Now, I'm trying to do the right thing.

:lol: Ah. . .hah, hah, hah. Sucks to get older, doesn't it? Crazy.gif You think you notice some changes in your metabolism now, it is exponetial, brother. I gave up sugar and half & half in my coffee today, thinking every little bit helps.

Love the avatar, BTW. Really shows the dark side of Tony. If that is your real name. ;)

Drink beer and surf the web.

Too much of that for me. :blush:

The best exercise is what D-goose said Beer.gif Except, I prefer Vodka and 7up plus Rockon.gif but since it is almost boating season, I actually found the best exercise. Tae-bo and the firm. I alternate weekly 3x week tae-bo 2x week the firm the next week swithch the routine. It is awesome. Kicks your tushy into gear.Fast result.. NO PLAYIN.

Do you use dvds or do you go to the gym?