Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX hull changes

40oz

I second this. I am coming from a 2007 VLX but have also spent a lot of time in the 09-11 VLX and LSV. The MXZ has the biggest wake with stock ballast out of any of them. It also handles much better than any of the other hulls. I have yet to have any issue with Chine locking, it turns on a dime, and is much better about not taking waves over the bow even with a 1000lb fat sack up there... in regards to the VLX specifically, I did love the 05-08 hull, but the 09-11 hull didn't chine lock as often and the wake could be made identical with proper waiting. Really, anything 2005 or later will do the job for 99% of the wakeboarders and surfers out there....

I currently have a 2012 MXZ. The wake is redicolous. I had an 05 VLX before this that I loved, and I thought the wake was great. I always ran 3500lbs in the vlx, and sometimes the wedge depending on the people in the boat. The MXZ wake with 2000 lbs and wedge 3 clicks up is great. I cant wait to really load the boat down. The wake is definitely bigger than my 05 vlx, and smooth as could be.

Nice!!!! I'm picking up my MXZ on Thursday from the Factory!!! Ordered her thru Delaware Marine in Columbus, Ohio. I had an 05 and was a sick wake. I will be posting pics soon......

• 1 year later...

I currently own a 01 WS VLX. I primarily use it for wakeboarding. I use two 750lbs fat sacs plus the stock center ballast to create a pretty nice wake. However, my friend has a 09 Super Air and his wake is ridiculous. I love my Malibu and want to stick with the Malibu brand, but am looking at upgrading. When did Malibu change the hull on the WS VLX and is it better than the hull I have now? It seems like the SAN has more boat in the water than my Bu. What year would you guys recommend?

Is it true that an '04 VLX will put out a bigger wake with less weight than an '05+ and thereby use less gas, but where the '05 really shines over the '04 is in the surf wake?

And the older SAN's with even less weight , will put out an even bigger wake than the '04 VLX and the SAN will be more vertical in wake and pop you with less effort and use even less gas.

Edited by darrink

The '05 is better for both wakeboarding & surfing. Yes, the '04 will take less weight to make a bigger wake, but you have to account for quality. The '05 is significantly better IME.

The resources section lists the names of the hulls based on the fact that Malibu stopped changing the names of the hulls. So pay attention to the beam measurement, that will help show years when the hull changed. Maybe we should have some sort of note in there for the models that have major hull changes in a given year.

Is it true that an '04 VLX will put out a bigger wake with less weight than an '05+ and thereby use less gas, but where the '05 really shines over the '04 is in the surf wake?

And the older SAN's with even less weight , will put out an even bigger wake than the '04 VLX and the SAN will be more vertical in wake and pop you with less effort and use even less gas.

Keep in mind we are talking hulls so if you want to use that hull (04 VLX) and get the new bells look at the 05-08 Vride. Same hull with newer bells. Will have a few bells missing like rear ballast but you can add that and if you get a 04 you will be taking the ballast boxes out and adding sacks anyway. Do a little more searching on this site and you will find great info on all this.

another thing to take into account is the fact that during the 04-05 redesign, the boat picker up something like 600# in girth. I'm also going to agree, 05-08 hull is fantastic

• 1 year later...

Some ppl actually prefer the 05-08 to the newer hull, i've never ridden the new hull so I can't comment but the 05-08 is a huge difference from your current boat

I agree with some of the statements that the 06-08 hull is better than the 09+ VLX. I regularly rode an 07 vlx, no wedge, 3500 lbs, and all I can say is that wake is bangin. My experience with that wake was the reason that when it was time to upgrade, my wife and I narrowed it down to 3 boats. 06-08 VLX, 09-11 vride21, and a 2011 Axis A22. Obviously by my picture I went with the Axis, no wedge and 4000 lbs and the wake is sooo close to that 07 vlx that I don't know if I could even tell a difference if we went side by side. I have little experience with a 2011 vlx, we had stock ballast and 8 big dudes, wedge in all different locations.... wake is a great malibu shape, just seemed small, like the new vlx needs a ton of weight. I have not sacked one out yet, so I cannot speak on it, but another buddies 06 vlx with quad ballast, auto set wedge, and 4 adults was way bigger than the 2011 vlx with more weight.

my vote if you want malibu, 09 vride, or 06-08 vlx

first post, have used this forum to answer a lot of questions, just yesterday noticed some axis threads so I thought I would join too.

Perhaps all those who rode the '09+ had the diamond hull on them.