Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX hull changes

40oz

I currently own a 01 WS VLX. I primarily use it for wakeboarding. I use two 750lbs fat sacs plus the stock center ballast to create a pretty nice wake. However, my friend has a 09 Super Air and his wake is ridiculous. I love my Malibu and want to stick with the Malibu brand, but am looking at upgrading. When did Malibu change the hull on the WS VLX and is it better than the hull I have now? It seems like the SAN has more boat in the water than my Bu. What year would you guys recommend?

Edited by JIMJOM

I believe it changed in 2005-2008, then again from 2009-current. Obviously the newest hull design is the best but the 05-08 is supposed to be really good to. That is why I bought an 06.

Some ppl actually prefer the 05-08 to the newer hull, i've never ridden the new hull so I can't comment but the 05-08 is a huge difference from your current boat

I currently own a 01 WS VLX. I primarily use it for wakeboarding. I use two 750lbs fat sacs plus the stock center ballast to create a pretty nice wake. However, my friend has a 09 Super Air and his wake is ridiculous. I love my Malibu and want to stick with the Malibu brand, but am looking at upgrading. When did Malibu change the hull on the WS VLX and is it better than the hull I have now? It seems like the SAN has more boat in the water than my Bu. What year would you guys recommend?

The 05-08 has a sick wake you will throw rocks at that 09 super air.

Took a 2012 VLX and a 2012 RZR out yesterday, from the hull standardpoint I'd pick the RZR for both surfing and wakeboarding. And the sound system and Tige Touch.

Def do not like the new hull.

Kiwi,

Which hull are you refering to that you don't like? I have seen some vids on youtube of the new RZ2 and RZ3 and the wake both surf and regular looked awesome.

Edited by Armyguy

Took a 2012 VLX and a 2012 RZR out yesterday, from the hull standardpoint I'd pick the RZR for both surfing and wakeboarding. And the sound system and Tige Touch.

Def do not like the new hull.

I disagree, we almost bought an RZ2 and demoed both that and the MXZ....wave was decent but wake on MXZ was signigicantly better. Apples and oranges.

I havent picked mine up yet. I have had bronchitis for the past 10 days which has kept me in bed 24/7(worst sickness I have ever had and dont wish it on anyone lol). I pick it up Friday finally. I am a big time researcher before I buy ANYTHING big(1k+). This boat seemed to be the best fit for me out of all the research I have done. I am coming from a 2001 Centurion Air Warrior Elite V so this is a big step up. I could never get my Centurion to put a good enough wake to surf, which is VERY important to me this time around. The wakeboarding wake was awesome though. I plan on getting a brand new boat eventually but I think getting a used VLX 05-08 is a very good starting point to get into the Malibu world. I usually have between 6-8 people that go out with me and this boat will hold 11 which works for me. I have had my Centurion packed before but I didnt like it because I barely ever got a chance to wakeboard(usually 1-2 times per outing) because there were too many people getting their turn which just soaks up the time very quickly. Plus I can store it in my garage which prevents theft, keeps it in pristine condition, and saves me 150/mo on storage fees.

I agree with some of the statements that the 06-08 hull is better than the 09+ VLX. I regularly rode an 07 vlx, no wedge, 3500 lbs, and all I can say is that wake is bangin. My experience with that wake was the reason that when it was time to upgrade, my wife and I narrowed it down to 3 boats. 06-08 VLX, 09-11 vride21, and a 2011 Axis A22. Obviously by my picture I went with the Axis, no wedge and 4000 lbs and the wake is sooo close to that 07 vlx that I don't know if I could even tell a difference if we went side by side. I have little experience with a 2011 vlx, we had stock ballast and 8 big dudes, wedge in all different locations.... wake is a great malibu shape, just seemed small, like the new vlx needs a ton of weight. I have not sacked one out yet, so I cannot speak on it, but another buddies 06 vlx with quad ballast, auto set wedge, and 4 adults was way bigger than the 2011 vlx with more weight.

my vote if you want malibu, 09 vride, or 06-08 vlx

first post, have used this forum to answer a lot of questions, just yesterday noticed some axis threads so I thought I would join too.

So here's a question about our resource section. People say the hull changed in 09. According to our resource section the hull didn't change.

Hull listed for 05-10 vlx: V25 wake

If hulls are actually changing why isn't our resource section reflecting that? This is a very important piece of information to have if you want to know your malibus.

Obviously by my picture I went with the Axis, no wedge and 4000 lbs and the wake is sooo close to that 07 vlx that I don't know if I could even tell a difference if we went side by side. first post, have used this forum to answer a lot of questions, just yesterday noticed some axis threads so I thought I would join too.

When i bought my boat, the dealer had a few Axis' on his lot. They looked BA, but i always wondered how the wake was. No one in my area has one so i have no oppertunity to ride one. It seemed like you get a lot of boat for the price.

I was told 2009 is when the new hull change took place, and 2010 they introduced the G3 tower. I would think it would be a little crazy to think the older hull will produce a better wake than the newer design. Keep in mind, how you weight the boat, passenger/gear load, etc... all play a factor into the wake. Just make sure are comparing apples to apples when you talk about wake size. One thing I will say about the 2011 wake (same as 2009) is its very clean at lower speeds (18-19 mph), and at full ballast and wedge will produce a very advanced wake. I have never ridden behind the older VLX hull but have heard good feedback from people who have.

You need to try and get out in both models and ride behind both of them. I personally would stay away from the Illusion tower and only go 2010 newer, the G3 is a much better design and very solid. I remember going out in a friends 2008 LSV with the Illusion, it was a rattle trap in comparison to the new G3. Just my .02....

Not sure how close to the 05-08 vlx (v25) hull it is, but it feels the same to me. When my buddy who owned the 07 vlx came and rode last season, he said it felt the same. I just know that I am very comfortable on the 05-12 VLX's because they feel and look like mine. If you're ever in so cal, I will give you a pull

I put about 250 hours on my '08 VLX and now have a '11 VLX. You really can't go wrong with either boat, but I haven't had anyone spend time behind both of my boats who wouldn't pick the wake on the '11 over the '08.

As for the 210, be sure to demo, this probably isn't the place to ask about that boat. I haven't spent any time behind the newer 210, but I've spent a lot of time behind a 230 and it is a nice wake, but there are a lot of boats I'd take over it, it's very sensitive side to side. My buddy who has a 230 is actually going to an Axis A22 this year (likes the wake better) - I only mention this because the 230 is supposed to be the best Nautique wake.

Prior to my upgrade I read comments similar to the ones in this thread claiming the '05-'08 wake was better. In my case, it was a concern and I didn't have a chance to demo prior to ordering. I did spend lots of time behind both the newer and older LSV hull. I trusted Malibu wouldn't make changes if they weren't improving the wake and there isn't a single thing about my '08 that I miss. The '11 has a smoother transition and likes more weight in the back of the boat than the '08. The '11 actually likes a little more weight in general, but it is a wider boat. The best thing Malibu did to the '11 hull IMO is the steering, the '11 turns 100 times better with extra weight in it (my '08 really didn't like tight turns with more than factory weight and we ride on a fairly a tight river).

All this being said, anyone can have a bad experience with any boat/wake if it isn't setup right. With just factory weight, the '08 was a tad larger, but it's also a narrower boat. Up until I got my '11, I always liked the wakes on both LSV's better than my VLX. I can honestly say, I like my '11 VLX better than any wake I've ridden. Everyone has their own preferences on wake, your best bet is to get out there and try these boats out to form your own opinions.

I currently have a 2012 MXZ. The wake is redicolous. I had an 05 VLX before this that I loved, and I thought the wake was great. I always ran 3500lbs in the vlx, and sometimes the wedge depending on the people in the boat. The MXZ wake with 2000 lbs and wedge 3 clicks up is great. I cant wait to really load the boat down. The wake is definitely bigger than my 05 vlx, and smooth as could be.

I currently have a 2012 MXZ. The wake is redicolous. I had an 05 VLX before this that I loved, and I thought the wake was great. I always ran 3500lbs in the vlx, and sometimes the wedge depending on the people in the boat. The MXZ wake with 2000 lbs and wedge 3 clicks up is great. I cant wait to really load the boat down. The wake is definitely bigger than my 05 vlx, and smooth as could be.

I second this. I am coming from a 2007 VLX but have also spent a lot of time in the 09-11 VLX and LSV. The MXZ has the biggest wake with stock ballast out of any of them. It also handles much better than any of the other hulls. I have yet to have any issue with Chine locking, it turns on a dime, and is much better about not taking waves over the bow even with a 1000lb fat sack up there... in regards to the VLX specifically, I did love the 05-08 hull, but the 09-11 hull didn't chine lock as often and the wake could be made identical with proper waiting. Really, anything 2005 or later will do the job for 99% of the wakeboarders and surfers out there....