Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Globe impellers

Fman

Considering switching from Johnson to Globe impeller this season. The globe seems superior to the Johnson, I have never had an issue with Johnson. I do a new impeller change annually, we usually run 100-150 hours a season.

two questions...

Does anyone have feedback on the globe?

I see Bakes sells them, do we get a crew discount on impelllers? If yes, how do we apply the coupon code?

thanks for any feedback....

Considering switching from Johnson to Globe impeller this season. The globe seems superior to the Johnson, I have never had an issue with Johnson. I do a new impeller change annually, we usually run 100-150 hours a season.

two questions...

Does anyone have feedback on the globe?

I see Bakes sells them, do we get a crew discount on impelllers? If yes, how do we apply the coupon code?

Globe is a better Impeller. I didn't buy my on the group buy or Bakes (Bakes didn't have them at the time, found it cheaper than the group buy elsewhere).

You need to be a paid member of this site to benefit from any discounts. I've saved enough money being a paid member to pay for my membership a couple times over in just the past couple of weeks.

If you're changing your impeller annually then there's no reason to spend the extra money on a Globe. It's your money so if you want to, go ahead. I have never had a problem with the Johnson impellers either but like you, I change mine annually.

If you do a search for Globe impeller on the site you will find a ton of great feedback. I still have a few on a GB deal.

How do I grab one on a group buy? Price?

How do I grab one on a group buy? Price?

Shoot a PM to D-Goose. Not sure if that was a "paid members only" GB or not... :unsure:

EDIT: I just checked...it's open to all members.

Edited by NorCaliBu

People should check out the Group buy threads from time to time as I will be doing more buys soon and they do not pop up on the topic tab.

Fman I'll PM you.

Fman, your PM box is full, look at the GB threads for all members.

Thanks Mike for checking and if you upgrade to a real size boat then you wouldn't want to be changing that impeller every year. LOL

Changing the impeller in that DD is just way to easy.

If you're changing your impeller annually then there's no reason to spend the extra money on a Globe. It's your money so if you want to, go ahead. I have never had a problem with the Johnson impellers either but like you, I change mine annually.

I would agree with this except for the fact I think what also comes into play is if you mini winterize your boat during the season. In other words if you rider behind the boat when it still dips below freezing at night it's very likely you're going to be bump starting your engine to get the extra water drained out (otherwise you may cause yourself additional problems). When bump starting your impeller will run dry for a few seconds.

I would also suggest a globe impeller for anyone who starts the boat in their drive using either a fake a lake, or for anyone who's garden pressure is very low. I will tell you that I used a fake a lake once and I ended up torching my black impeller because apparently I had it wedged a little too tight against the hull and didn't get good enough water flow. YMMV but this is what I suggest to any boat people I talk to that ask about the topic.

Edited by wakeboarder3780
Thanks Mike for checking and if you upgrade to a real size boat then you wouldn't want to be changing that impeller every year. LOL

Changing the impeller in that DD is just way to easy.

Me? :unsure: In a V-Drive? :rofl: NEVER happen. :no: Without hesitation, I say, NEVER!!!

I would agree with this except...

I have been using a fake-a-lake for more years than I care to admit publicly and I have not once had a problem with it. I winterize half a dozen boats in the fall for my warm-water-wussy friends who don't ski in the winter... :baby: ...and have never had an issue so I guess I just don't "get" that one. As far as "mini-winterizations"...bumping the key isn't going to empty the block. :no: If it's cold enough to freeze, you could be screwed. Bumping the key will get most of the water out of the exhaust system and some of the water out of the block. The block drain plugs are the only reliable way to get the water out of the block.

Me? :unsure: In a V-Drive? :rofl: NEVER happen. :no: Without hesitation, I say, NEVER!!!

I have been using a fake-a-lake for more years than I care to admit publicly and I have not once had a problem with it. I winterize half a dozen boats in the fall for my warm-water-wussy friends who don't ski in the winter... :baby: ...and have never had an issue so I guess I just don't "get" that one. As far as "mini-winterizations"...bumping the key isn't going to empty the block. :no: If it's cold enough to freeze, you could be screwed. Bumping the key will get most of the water out of the exhaust system and some of the water out of the block. The block drain plugs are the only reliable way to get the water out of the block.

The appropriate procedure to use is first draining the block, *then* bumping to get the extra water ran out of the flush kit if you have one, lines, exhaust, etc. I never said I didn't drain first.

If the FAL works for you, great - you have had better luck than I. I continue to stand by my advice of using a globe impeller if you winterize the engine and do bump starts during your normal season.

My current Johnson impeller I just installed, it only has 2 hours of use on it. After reading about the globe I thought I would just use the Johnson as a new spare, and install the globe. I was leaning towards the globe because occassionally I do hook up the fake a lake. I have been doing this for four years with no issues with the Johnson impellers. I never run it more than idle and always make sure there is water draining out the exhaust, and run the hose a few minutes before starting the motor.

hmmm.... maybe its a ford vs chevy conversation, it would be nice to have the run dry protection that globe claims. Not sure what I should do at this point.... for $50 seems like cheap insurance for a more reliable impeller???? what do you all think???

I just ordered two of them, two of the gaskets, and the ss impeller puller from bakes. I always like to have one extra at all times. I just need to figure out exactly where it is at now on my boat. On my 2001 centurion, they obviously weren't thinking because it was not a job you could do at the lake which really sucked: I found out the hard way when it went, even took it to several shops on a Saturday as a last minute thing just so I could get the 9 people with me in the water. The two places that were open said it was a no go and that it was a 3 hour job for them..I thought they were lying until I did it myself at home the next weekend..took me about 6 hours because I ran into problems. I prefer peace of mind. Even though I am ordering the globes, I will continue to change them out at the beginning of every season as preventative maintanance. There is nothing worse on a hot summer day(100+) having a bunch of people counting on you, and the being a big let down when you get to the lake and shred an impeller..lesson learned..lol

I'll have to get a manual to see how to change this one. Anyone know how easy/hard it is?

Their a bit of a PITA to find on your boat, Army. It's in the rear of the boat, just in front of the muffler, under all the water inlets/outlets in the intake. Some guys do it laying on their side, reaching down by the muffler. I found that it's easiest for me to get 2 hands on it if I remove the engine cover (2 shocks & 2 quick release pins), then kneel on the swimstep. There 4 brass slotted screws holding the faceplate on. Their not very long so be careful you don't drop them.

I am a believer in the Globe impellers. We ran ours for 4 years mainly to see how long it would go, I did pull it and check it each year, Left it out thru the winter the first two years so it wouldn't take shape, left it in after that. It did not stress crack like the Johnson ones do, it did take a bent shape. It showed very little wear on the ends after 4 years (about 375 hours) the Johnsons show wear after a year. It started acting up at the end of the season last year so I knew we had a problem,(the boat heated up to about 180-190 on the first startup twice, the first time it did it i didn't catch it until the gauge was on its way down and at 175, I actually watched it do it the second time) I had sucked up some debris a couple times thru the summer and had to remove it from the inline cooler, when I removed the impeller after the season I found a twig had made it thru the cooler and lodged its self at the impeller inlet. It caused damage to the impeller but still got us thru the last couple weeks, I'm convinced this would have destroyed a Johnson and caused me to change the impeller on the lake. We use Johnson pumps in every lobster boat here on the coast, so the impellers are very accessible to me at a very low cost, I enjoy working on the boat and changing the impeller every year isn't a big deal to me, having to worry about bumping/running the motor dry and changing an impeller on the lake is, I will pay the extra for the Globe. Here is a pic of the Globe after the damage.

post-5050-0-82786400-1333973147_thumb.jp

Edited by mainekneeboarder

This is what you wanna see, Army.

Like Bill said, this is directly behind your transom, in the engine bay.

Image062.jpg

This may be a silly question.... but with the impeller puller...do you tighten the puller down on the impeller and then pull the thing (impeller and all) out... or do you turn the crank and let the screw action slowly work it out? Also... the hooks on the puller arms... do they go behind the impeller when it's in the housing... or do you just close them till they grip the rubber. I couldn't end up getting the arms in behind the impeller and didn't want to damage the housing/pump. Thanks.

This may be a silly question.... but with the impeller puller...do you tighten the puller down on the impeller and then pull the thing (impeller and all) out... or do you turn the crank and let the screw action slowly work it out? Also... the hooks on the puller arms... do they go behind the impeller when it's in the housing... or do you just close them till they grip the rubber. I couldn't end up getting the arms in behind the impeller and didn't want to damage the housing/pump. Thanks.

You just twist the screw which makes the arms and the impeller come out of the housing.

This is what you wanna see, Army.

Like Bill said, this is directly behind your transom, in the engine bay.

Image062.jpg

Thanks for the pic Pete,

That looks like a major PITA, especially if it decides to go while you are out on the water.. :Frustrated:

I have read guys on here saying that it takes them 15 minutes with a puller. I dont see how that is possible with all of that crap in the way. I am gonna do it myself when I pick up the boat Friday. We will see how long it takes for me..haha

Edited by Armyguy

The guys that say it takes them 15 minutes to do this are the ones (like me) who have boats where the motor faces frontwards, as it's intended! :biggrin:

The guys that say it takes them 15 minutes to do this are the ones (like me) who have boats where the motor faces frontwards, as it's intended! :biggrin:

Or their not paying attention. I've never timed it, but pretty sure it wouldn't take me more than 5 or 10 minutes to do it in the Vride.

15 minutes on a DD? Is that including taking the cover off the boat, drinking a beer, putting the cover back on, testing it with the fake a lake, etc? Pull the motor cover, remove 4 bolts, pop off the cover, spray a dab of WD40 in there, bump the motor over once, pull out with a pair of needle nose, then install is reverse of removal. Not hard at all once you know how to do it. With a V-drive you have to do it partly blind but it isn't all that hard.

15 minutes? In a direct drive? Only if you spend 12 minutes drinking a beer while doing it. :lol:

EDIT: Unless your boat has a Mercruiser. :rant: Then you're screwed. I'd rather change an Indmar V-Drive impeller than a DD Mercruiser.

Edited by NorCaliBu