Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Submarine?

Asmodeus2112

Yeah, that has been discussed at length on here somewhere. I think it was along the lines of the driver accidentally throwing it past neutral and into reverse at the same time he hit a roller. I'm sure it's something I will somehow accomplish now that I have spent a lot of money on a nice boat!

I wonder if he did any damage to it? Bilge pump should have cared for the water in a couple of minutes, but the electronics may have gotten more than a bit damp!

The best part is the driver is not wearing a life jacket. But, I guess, if you willingly do this to your boat, you really aren't all that smart anyways.

That video has been around for a while. That boat will have electrical problems for the remainder of it's life.

Ain't that the truth. Starter & blower to say the least. Gauges will fog up & quit working consistently. If the water ended up in the intake & stalled the engine, it could have cost them the motor.

My brother had an 88 Prostar for a while. We chilidipped the bow in that boat more than a few times. Only issue we ever had was we'd lose the stereo. The driver always knew it was coming but whoever was sitting the spotters seat got a big surprise.

I've watched that video repeatedly, and it doesn't look accidental to me. The question is, why would someone do that to their boat on purpose?

Its a show boat. They get rode hard and put away wet. That's the biggest reason I would never buy one.

I have seen that video many time's and I still can't figure out how he did that. Even if it wasn't on purpose. My boat die's if somebody accidentally puts it in reverse if there is too much forward momentum.

Edited by bretski75

It looks to me like the boat stops as it goes down, comes up and then starts going backwards under it's own power in reverse. Driver then shifts back to forward, but looks like the engine stalls then.

I've watched that video repeatedly, and it doesn't look accidental to me. The question is, why would someone do that to their boat on purpose?

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. he looks pretty proud of himself too.. maybe they were done with that boat and its was its last Hurah!!

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. he looks pretty proud of himself too.. maybe they were done with that boat and its was its last Hurah!!

And the passenger seems to get ready and brace herself prior to the event as well.

This looks like a set up. chick in the passengers seat knows it's coming. Something put up a big roller and he took direct aim at it. Looks like he put it into reverse just before impact to dip the bow. Why..... I have no clue.

And the passenger seems to get ready and brace herself prior to the event as well.

Believe me, after you've chilidipped the bow once, your passengers know what it feels like & get to know to brace themselves for the big splash..... without ever actually seeing it coming. Granted, they don't have a lot of warning, but it's only the rookies who are truly surprised by it.

From Teamtalk about this video:

"A little more about the event: I was at that ski show, it was in Plymouth, MN. The city happened to be filming it for their local cable channel, which is why the video is so good. It is the club we belong to, although I don't show ski any more. He was coming in for a power turn. I did not get a chance to talk to him after, but a friend did. He was pretty shaken up.

It looks like a combination of hitting a roller, backing off the throttle too aggressively (maybe hitting reverse), and not turning quite quick enough. He's just barely starting to turn and the boat goes under. I've heard that the newer 197's are much harder to power turn than the older hulls (like mine). I can spin mine pretty easily. I've only done it a few times, as they aren't real good for the boat, even if done right.

The sad thing is, after they bailed out some (not all) of the water, someone (not the original driver) started it up and idled back to the launch. IMHO, whoever did that made a much bigger mistake than the power turn driver. Had I still been in the show, I'd have taken the key out right away so no one would even think of doing that. That pretty much guaranteed a ruined engine. At least before that there was a chance it was not too bad, as it stalled pretty quick as evidenced by the driver trying to put it in gear right after they came back up. Again his first thought should have been to shut it off. I've heard that there were a few quarts of water in the oil. Anybody looking for a project boat?? smile.gif Heck, I'd buy it for the right price, like $100!"

I'm sure you all know plenty about power turns, but came across this video while I was browsing: