Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Little water in Transmission

Does anyone else have an Indmar Hammerhead 400 HP which has a VENT on transmission?Has anyone got water in transmission and how many flushes/tune ups did it take to get it all out such that when you do a tune up the transmission fluid shows no sign of water?

Long story short. Bought the 2007 LSV in 2010 from original owner with 50 hours on it. He mentioned he got a lot of water in boat and when he did his first tune up they said there looks like very little water got in there. So he had dealer double check with a pressure test (since it was in warranty) to make sure no leaks and it passed. They flushed transmission. When I bought the boat I had tune up and dealer said still a small amount of water in it. So flushed out transmission. Now I have 110 hours and just got tune up 4/5/2012 and dealer said looks like small water in there. No big deal but keep an eye on it. Now I remember getting about 6 inches water (from floor) from huge wave in between the tune-ups. So who knows if any water got in the transmission vent, or whether it got in there another way, or was just the residual water from previous time. But I called original dealer and he mentioned it will probably take a few more transmission flushes to get excess water out and I shouldn't worry about it. So I am going to call Malibu just to get the facts on record in case the water came from a leak seal which would cost at least $1K to fix.

So my question is, has anyone got water in transmission and how many tune ups did it take to get it all out such that when you do a tune up the transmission fluid shows no sign of water?

I guess I should start keeping my old transmission fluid to compare from year to year.

I don't want to alarm you, but if repeated flushing doesn't take care of this, you may want to look for a hairline crack in your transmission cooler...