Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why 15-40 oil.

Bradley Thornton

The motor is a 5.7L I can see 5-30 or 10-30 but 15-40 that is used in a diesel. With this being said WHY and can I use regular oil (15-40) from autozone or does it need too be marine grade. Can I use 15-40 synthetic.

I would imagine because of the increased loads and high RPMs a marine engine experiences a higher viscosity oil like 15W-40 provides better protection than an automotive grade oil.

the other piece is the high TBN (Total Base Number) essentially a high PH... better for corrosion protection which is very important in a marine environment.

That and seeing how our boats are only used in warm weather (or intended to be used in warm weather) there's no reason to use an oil with a viscosity suitable for sub zero temperatures.

The motor is a 5.7L I can see 5-30 or 10-30 but 15-40 that is used in a diesel. With this being said WHY and can I use regular oil (15-40) from autozone or does it need too be marine grade. Can I use 15-40 synthetic.

I called Indmar directly about this, I was told ANY 15-40w oil is fine for marine use. It will not void your warranty as long as you properly change the oil and filter every 50 hour of use or annually. Make sure and save your reciepts, I typically run Pennzoil just because its always in stock.

Our engine are designed around a 40 wieght oil, and 15W-40 is one of the most robust 40 wieghts you can use. If you go synthetic, which really don't exist any more, the oil usually comes in 0W-40 or 5W-40. Using the word synthetic is nothing more than a performance standard now, although there are still a few true synthetic polyalphaolifin grade 5 oils out there.

Our engine are designed around a 40 wieght oil, and 15W-40 is one of the most robust 40 wieghts you can use. If you go synthetic, which really don't exist any more, the oil usually comes in 0W-40 or 5W-40. Using the word synthetic is nothing more than a performance standard now, although there are still a few true synthetic polyalphaolifin grade 5 oils out there.

FYI, Indmar did specify to me NOT to use synthetic oils, it would void the warranty on a new engine. Why this is I have no idea, this came directly from a Indmar service technician. I know all the dealers do not use synthetic when they do there oil changes.

• 6 months later...

FYI, Indmar did specify to me NOT to use synthetic oils, it would void the warranty on a new engine. Why this is I have no idea, this came directly from a Indmar service technician. I know all the dealers do not use synthetic when they do there oil changes.

Even for the LS3? It says right on my valve cover to use Mobil 1 5W-30.