Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Deposit on 99 Sunsetter LXI

tkowalski

Hello. I am in the process of pulling the trigger on a 99 SS LXI. See Memphis Boat Center. List is 18995.00. We agreed on 17700.00. It's been on the market since last fall. I am looking for any and all feedback, criticism, etc. I live across state and am going to drive to Memphis and decide. I am a hardcore old school water skier and sometime barefooter. I also really wanted the open bow. I think they were priced high at 18995. and everyone wants a tower(except me). Gelcoat has some nicks, carpet and upholstery in good shape. Trailer is in ok shape, hours are 340, and it has the monsoon upgrade which looks clean. Bimini top. Again any feedback would be appreciated. Going there in about 2 weeks to decide. Thanks, TK

For your needs, one of the best crossovers ever. Especially for slalom. If its in good shape like you think, you'll be happy. I can't say how it will foot though.

Edited by bretski75

There are pixs on onlyinboards. I wanted the SS for it's ability to handle rougher water, though still a good ski wake, plus 3 dogs to haul around!!. On Tenn River, can get choppy when leaving my pristine water to go to marinas, rest, etc. Thanks for input. Please check out pix on Onlyinoards.

We sold our 99 SSLXi back in 08' for around 16k (I can't remember the exact price). It wasn't in the greatest shape, but also wasn't beat up by any means. It had just about every option excpet PP (nice stereo, upgraded prop, tower, etc...) and about 600 hours. We sold at probably the worst time (spring of 08') as far as the economy goes around here, but we had already bought a new boat, so we were happy to see it go.

If you are into skiing/boarding 50/50 then you will really like that boat, if you're more into boarding and surfing, you should pass for a SSLX

For the purposes that you are describing the SSLXI is a great fit. You can definitely foot w/ it it isn't the worlds top but very manageable. Skiing wise it has a bigger wake that the Response but the diamond hull makes the wakes soft and only slight larger and wider. If the trailer is in ok shape make sure the wheels/bearings are checked before you leave and make sure to have a spare! The two things that I can say that you'll want to watch with this boat is the HDS (Hyponic Dampening System) that Malibu uses to dampen vibration on the drive-line but surrounding it w/ water. Easy check and fix. First have the bilge filled w/ water to cover the black flat top plastic covering w/ several screws located under the rear removable center floor covering (behind the engine). If it leaks just need to silicone it. Second is the gas sensor this boat is very inaccurate and will quickly show only a 1/4 tank left. Here is the link to an article that shows you how to change it, not really a big deal but annoying. If wakeboarding or surfing is even something you want to consider I'd get a floating wedge if it doesn't already, otherwise forget it. The rear 18 cu ft trunk is sweet and probably the largest of any DD. Make sure to do a wet test w/ the dealer and ask for all maintenance records if they exist. For the price imho it must be in great shape w/o anything needing to be done, some nicks are just part of buying a used boat though.

I have a "99" with over 1500 hrs, I have a buddy that has over 2300 hours on his. We both barefoot and the boats perform great. Wake crossings long line are smooth. Booms you will need to add about 18" to get out from the side spray. I use barefoot internationals boom with their extension. A tower is great for long line barefoot start backwards. Interior problems with the upholstery tearing at the seams. We both have replaced our skins and the boats look new. No problems with engines with regular oil changes and filter changes. Good Luck and have fun footing!

Definitely take it for a test drive/ski. Price may be an inch high or so, but it does have low hours for a 99. I paid 11 for a 95 with a 1000 hrs.

I couldn't be happier. Loads of room, it flies like the wind, quiet as a mouse, dependable, chick magnet. Priceless !

Steve B.

• Like 1

It is on the higher end. Here's what I'll say. I have inquired about 6 SSLXI's in the last month. All have sold in less than a 2 week posting. I don't just want to settle because it's whats available , so at 17700.00, though high, it seems the market is heating up and with the cost of newer boats, these models and years, especially with only 350 hours seems to be very popular. I appreciate all the feedback. Did anyone look at pictures on Onlyinboards?

I did look at the pics. It's a nice boat and I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Boats never look as good in person as they do in pics. I think this boat looks like a 7 in the pics, which is probably a 6 in person. Even though it's not important to you, the tower and wedge are significant options that If I was spending 17,700 on I would insist on. I think the price does not reflect that, and maybe you could bargain a bit with. When you go to sell these items really make a difference because most people wakeboard all of the time or at least part of the time nowadays. Another really nice feature that you find with LX and LXi's are the jump seats. I never used both of ours very often, but we always had one stuck behind the drivers seat.

Have you checked the NADA book value to see if it is a decent price? Don't forget to add everything to get an accurate price (bimini, cover, stereo, teak swim platform, tower, etc.) and the trailer is separate. I don't even look at a boat until checking that first to get a guide as to where it is on price. You can't always go by that since condition and hours play a big part, but it is a good guide. After all, the bank goes by it!

Yes NADA says average retail is close to what I'm looking at, not including low hours. Like I said earlier, I inquired about 5-6 boats, all SS except 1, and they sold within a week of posting. They were priced similar to the price range I'm in, some just a little lower. It was at 18995, we are now at 17700.00. After doing the dance, my last offer was 17000.00 including tax, out the door, they said no thanks. How much does 350 hrs for a 99 merit? Video does show a smooth starting/shifting running boat!. I am agonizing!!!! I know tower and wedge are good resellers, I am planning on running this til it croaks, so I'm ok with no tower.

350 hrs for 99 is pretty low (average low 30's per year). If price is in book range, then I would go look at it to see if its everything you want and looks as good as it does in the pics.

I have seen some low hour boats that previous owners didn't take care of as well, so hours and price is usually just a good starting point. Nothing can give you a good idea of price until you lay eyes on the boat, just do all the homework before hand.

Also when I make road trips, I always try to find multiple boats in that direction just in case the first one isn't what you thought. Last wasted trip I made before current boat, I made the 8.5 hour trip to Austin and boat was nothing like what owner described, could not have even used trailer to pull it home since saltwater had rusted holes all in it up by tongue. I looked at 2 others on way home (1 @ Ft Hood and one around Tyler), but ended up not pulling a boat home that day. Made for a long 22 hr day.

I have seen some boats sell, but not that many. I agree that the market has picked up on sales over the last two weeks, but if your patient there will still be plenty of boats in May... If you truly are going to keep the boat for that long, then I wouldn't sweat a grand or so. I think a great deal would be 16 to 16.5, but it will be more important to get the right boat than getting the absolute best deal. I don't know about your budget, but a few more K gets to some really nice 2001's, which I personally like some of the things Malibu did then. At the end of the day, until you actually see her, you really don't know.

So I asked again about price on this boat. He acknowledged the higher price point. I did not know these things. New water pump impeller, new circulating pump repairs of all systems, missing coupler pin, fresh oil and filter, new OEM tach, reupholstered cockpit seat bottoms and rear sun deck, new mooring cover, new trailer tires. Fuel inspection, testing and guarantee of functionality, not sure what that means. 17700.00. any more thoughts?

With all that done, it sounds like a really good deal. All you have to do is just add water! He probably means a compression test was run along with a few other tests to test functionality. Definitely ask for a copy of all that and all the services he performed when you go pick it up.

So I asked again about price on this boat. He acknowledged the higher price point. I did not know these things. New water pump impeller, new circulating pump repairs of all systems, missing coupler pin, fresh oil and filter, new OEM tach, reupholstered cockpit seat bottoms and rear sun deck, new mooring cover, new trailer tires. Fuel inspection, testing and guarantee of functionality, not sure what that means. 17700.00. any more thoughts?

Some of these things are, in my opinion, expected of a well maintained boat. But, the new tach, mooring cover and tires carry some value to me (tailer brakes work?). It is nice to get a sheet of paper with the details of the inspection, which compression is probably the most valuable item. Have you seen the boat yet? If you like it, I don't think you're getting ripped off at all. You probably could do a bit better with a private seller, but that's as low as your going to get with a dealer this time of year.

Edited by Asmodeus2112
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok. Bought the boat and I LOVE it. Runs awesome, smooth, quiet, couldn't be happier! 2 questions: gas grade for best performance, my neighbor also swears by Lucas additive for more hp/fuel efficiency. I know they talk about a slight right turn sensation because of the prop rotation. If I let go of wheel at higher speeds, the boat would immediately go into a power turn. These seems too excessive. Yes/no? Again I am in love with this boat!!!!!