Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much ballast?

jmack

I'm planning on adding ballast to my '96 Sunsetter VLX. I currently have a wedge and ski locker sac, so I'll be adding weight in the rear lockers and possibly the bow. I want to hear everyone's opinions as to how much weight to add, and if I'll need weight up front. I want to run around 22 mph - with my current set up the wake is much better at 20 mph.

In my '97 VLX, we run 550's in the rear plus around 600 in the bow with the wedge down(and a locker sac). If you are not using the wedge then you won't need as much in the bow like mcdave said.

How much weight do you think I would get out of Fly High's new Open Bow sac that fits beneath the cushions? The bag is rated at 800lbs, but I realize there isn't near enough room for it to fill all the way up.

I don't know but I will find out as soon as summer gets here. I ordered one from wakeside for Christmas and will be putting it in this spring. I'm hoping to get at least 400 from it.

I don't know but I will find out as soon as summer gets here. I ordered one from wakeside for Christmas and will be putting it in this spring. I'm hoping to get at least 400 from it.

Be sure to keep us updated. I've got some interest in it.

In my '97 VLX, we run 550's in the rear plus around 600 in the bow with the wedge down(and a locker sac). If you are not using the wedge then you won't need as much in the bow like mcdave said.

I plan on using Fly High's open bow sac, and I don't know that I can get 600lbs in the bow with it. If I can get 350-400 in the bow, how would 400's in the rear plus the wedge work out?

I plan on using Fly High's open bow sac, and I don't know that I can get 600lbs in the bow with it. If I can get 350-400 in the bow, how would 400's in the rear plus the wedge work out?

You should be fine with that I would think. Its really a personal preference as to what type of wake you prefer. If you like a steeper wake you can put more weight in the rear(or less in the bow). If you like a more rampy wake though you will definitely want at least 400 up front if you're using the wedge and 400's in the lockers. You'll have to experiment with it and get it tweaked just the way you like it.

I think that is a very good starting point though.

I have 2 700lbs fly high pro sacs in back, 1000lbs fluid concepts in ski locker and 2 tube sacs up front under seats.(all plumed in and automatic) The wake is very nice.

I want to get the pro bow sac from fly high for the extra strength. Also for some more weight but it looks like all the extra room in the bag is in the very front of the bag which is a very small area in my boat.

I want to get the pro bow sac from fly high for the extra strength. Also for some more weight but it looks like all the extra room in the bag is in the very front of the bag which is a very small area in my boat.

I thought the same thing about all the extra in the front and can't imagine how that would fit very well. Our boat is like yours not much room in the nose.

I have 2 700lbs fly high pro sacs in back, 1000lbs fluid concepts in ski locker and 2 tube sacs up front under seats.(all plumed in and automatic) The wake is very nice.

How much weight do you think you're actually getting out of the 1000lb bag in the locker?

Also, do you use the wedge with this setup?

I am probably getting about 70 more pounds than the original bag.(I think this would be different depending on where the divider is in your locker(they seem to vary).

I really don't think it was worth the money for the swap in bags unless your divider is back further.

Yes this is with the wedge. Need it to get the shape I like.

Edited by Mazeing5