Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nyman Water Lift

DWhynot

I've acquired a Nyman Water lift from a friend who just sold his lake house, and I'm going through the process of replacing any service parts (bushings, pins, gaskets, seals, etc) which are still available through Basta Marine. This lift uses household water pressure, but rather than running a garden hose from the house to the dock, I was thinking of using a self contained jet pump (and the lake for supply). This lift supposedly needs 60 psi of water pressure, but a typical jet pump pressure switch is like 40 psi. Any thoughts on type of pump, HP, and (I suppose) a different pressure switch. This lift is the 3000 lb capacity, all aluminum, around 1994 vintage....

I have a buddy on Sammamish who has the 4000 lb version of that lift. And Phil Nyman lives in the area too, who showed us how to make something like what your doing. We used a plastic toolbox, with a 12v pump, some alligator clips & a couple of hoses. He ran the lift in the summer like it was designed. But in the winter, when the hose is packed up & the hose bib has been winterized, he'd use the portable pump, hooked up to the boat's battery, and hook up one hose to the lift ram, then dangle the other hose in the water.

Putting the boat back in the water was easy.... lift it past he dogs, and let it drop. But lifting the boat out of the lake took a looooong time. I didn't know what kind of pressure was required, but now that you say it's 60 psi, it makes me wonder if we used too small a pump. Seems like it's totally possible, if you can get a strong enough pump. Plus you could take it one step further & install the whole thing in a box, mounted to the dock, with a deep cycle battery in it & a solar panel on top.

MalibuNation

I ran 12 gauge wire down to the lake and run a 1 hp pump 240v with a tank and have great pressure. You might want to contact a place that drills wells and ask them for advice. Have you considered a submersible pump.

What about contacting Nyman or the place you're getting parts.

I had the same lift. I used 74psi it was fast. It doesn't matter what size pump you use .You need a 40-60pressure switch ,turn it up,and get a 30gal or larger pressure tank.and you'll be set!!!!! they're nice set up.

Thanks guys; Power is not a problem (although "off the grid" with 12 v pump, battery and solar sounds good, but...), as I will be running some wire anyway, and 220 VAC is a possibility. I haven't dealt with pressure switches in a while, so the 40-60 switches can be cranked up to say 75 psi? I'm looking for a quick lift.

tuslake, what hp pump did you use? I was figuring the whole setup should cost around 200 - 300 bucks.

A 1/2 hp I think.You want to buy a tee adapter for bottom of pressure tank,put pressure switch,gauge,hose bib,on it keep it close to pump as possible. the pressure switch shoud be set to turn on at 52,off at say 72-74psi.its pretty fast.the larger tank allows more volume of water less elec,saves pump life also.

MalibuNation

While you're at it I'd plumb it so that you can use the pump for other purposes. Will the pump be near the dock/lift? If not I'd run pressure pipe to a spigot.

• 7 years later...