Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass

denjoe

I went riding with Pete and a new friend Tim from Wakeworld. Anyway, we were happily riding last week and all of a sudden I lost all throttle control. I didn't know what happened so we opened the engine cover and found a little black plastic knob hanging loose.

Perfect pass is just a simple stepper motor that is connected to the end of the throttle cable with a string and a plastic knob. You may want to check yours to ensure it is tight. I think that is a cheesy design. Why would you use string and a plastic $.50 knob to control the throttle.

Once we reconnected it back onto the stepper motor, we got throttle control back, but that really bugged me how cheap that setup is.

Lame.gif

That is the same setup I have on my 96 RLX only I have a steel cable. It is actually the same cable as the one used for the throttle. There is about 18 in of extra cable that extends from the metering block to the stepper motor. Sometimes the stepper motor gets lost and there is too much slack in the cable. I have had to wind the slack back by hand in order to regain throttle control...It was scary the first time it happened.

I agree it is a pretty crumby design. There is a description of how it works on the Perfect Pass site.

servo.jpg

Edited by MoonDawg

one of the first steps in the PP procedures is to ensure the knob is tight prior to starting the engine. I find that if I do this just once a week, no problems (the manuals says every time you start, but I think that is overkill).

I went riding with Pete and a new friend Tim from Wakeworld. Anyway, we were happily riding last week and all of a sudden I lost all throttle control. I didn't know what happened so we opened the engine cover and found a little black plastic knob hanging loose.

Perfect pass is just a simple stepper motor that is connected to the end of the throttle cable with a string and a plastic knob. You may want to check yours to ensure it is tight. I think that is a cheesy design. Why would you use string and a plastic $.50 knob to control the throttle.

Once we reconnected it back onto the stepper motor, we got throttle control back, but that really bugged me how cheap that setup is.

Lame.gif

Like finding out the "wizard of OZ" is just some old dude working cheezy knobs and levers?.. ROFL.gif

Guess with the support you get from your local TMC buddies, you had to go and get yourself a new 'friend' to ride with huh... Yes.gif

Oh yea, I missed the part where Pete went with him.. yep, he was in good hands

... On the other hand, knowing that Pete was there, explains why it came off in the first place Tease2.gif

Better than Joe's windshild busting or something like that though ;)

The whole ball of wax (the BOM... bill of materials) can be bought for about 220 dollars... quantity one. They probably get the BOM put together for less than 150 I would think. That's a tidy profit.

I am sure you are right Troy. It would have never fallen off in the first place if Pete wasn't on-board! Tongue.gif

Thanks MoonDawg for the pics, by the time I get home at night it is dark. But on my 05 VLX it is in the back of the motor, but a very similar setup. The only difference is, that the steel cable does not wrap around the knob it terminates into a nylon string that wraps around the knob.

Lame.gif

HaHa, that happened to me as well on my 04 LSV. Your right, it is very Lame.gif but thats how it works.

BTW, mine is located at the rear of the engine, in a harder to get at spot than the one Moondawg is showing.

Lame.gif

HaHa, that happened to me as well on my 04 LSV. Your right, it is very Lame.gif but thats how it works.

BTW, mine is located at the rear of the engine, in a harder to get at spot than the one Moondawg is showing.

Just another plus for the DD's Tongue.gif

Just to take this a step further, in addition to checking to make sure the knob is tight.....there is a tiny set screw that connects the knob to the servo. Double check to make sure the set screw is tight.

Had it fall out one time. Had to "rig" the knob so it would stay on while under power. Got lucky and later found the screw in the bulge, but it was a PITA to get back to the dock that day.

ALH

Oh man,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Troy. Tease2.gif

BTW, just to be clear, Joe was the one that found the knob hanging loose. I wanted to charge him $100. just to open the engine cover and look under there. Surprised.gif

Oh man,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Troy. Tease2.gif

BTW, just to be clear, Joe was the one that found the knob hanging loose. I wanted to charge him $100. just to open the engine cover and look under there. Surprised.gif

Bout time you chimed in Pete - where ya been? Figure with all the free time you have, you'd be able to hang with us more. See you on Sat at the boat show?

Got lucky and later found the screw in the bulge, but it was a PITA

ALH

Wait, you found a screw in your bulge but found it lucky to have a PITA?

Which reminds me, where the heck is Hank? Jerry is obviously glued to the rat.

Sorry Troy,

But, believe it or not, I've been much busier since I quit than I had been the last couple of months at work.

Oh, BTW, Joe got his fair share of Pistol Pete bad luck. I just remembered that once we went to load up the boat, we found the large round plastic cover missing over the master cylinder of the trailer tongue.

Pete,

Extreme stepped up once again and shipped up overnight another cover for the trailer at NO CHARGE to me.

One nice thing about the boating industry is that most of the companies have amazing customer service.

See ya all on Saturday,

Joe