Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 vlx

gslinger

New to inboards. Looking at a 2012 vlx. How does it ride in moderate chop and how is the surf wake? It has mid and rear ballast. Also the tower has no speakers. How do the alpha speakers sound or should look at different ones?

What we did, is put some of our bench press weights in the front of the boat, about 250 pounds. It makes a big difference.

The alpha speakers sound good.

I define chop as not whitecapping, but not glass - somewhere in the middle. Then, there are rollers caused by boat traffic. The vlx does very well in chop and better than most in rollers. I have had to slow down for some big rollers, but never had anything over the bow. We ride in a river filled with yachts, barges, and lots of boat traffic and the vlx does a great job. I have been known the fill the center tank as well to help as well.

Thx for the info. What would be a good price for the boat? Has the tower amp but no tower speakers and no subwoofer. It does have upgraded paint, undermount ladder, power wedge, maliview tandem axle trailer, boat cover, sound pak 2.

Thx for the info. What would be a good price for the boat? Has the tower amp but no tower speakers and no subwoofer. It does have upgraded paint, undermount ladder, power wedge, maliview tandem axle trailer, boat cover, sound pak 2.

The question is what is the price difference between this one that I assume is the dealers inventory and you ordering one just the way you want it? Given that both will be a 2012, the discount would have to be substantial to settle on a color scheme that is not my #1 choice and options that I might want that the boat does not have. I would bet they still have a spray date that will get you on the water this summer.

With that said, if I had it to do over again I would have not have grey as a gel color (pain in the arse to repair), no cover (the Malibu ones are sub-par IMO), stereo delete and removable carpet.

Any loaded up 2012 vlx in the mid 60's IMO would be a very good price. If you are on a budget, skip the blinged out trailer and put that $ towards the boat upgrades. For what its worth, my 2011 vlx has almost every upgrade avail and I was in that range. Although I did go with a base stereo and added my own system.

around my part of the country (North Alabama), that boat would probably be right at 70k so in the 60s is a good price to me. one like fman's would have been closer to 80 around here so he got a great deal.

And remember, the warmer the weather gets, the higher price goes! I also purchased my boat in early January of 2011.... If you are a serious buyer, I would not hesitate to buy soon.

Definitely get something you won't regret later. Make sure and take them out and demo whatever you are interested in. What part of the country are you located? 6k more for the mxz seems like a killer price.

You can't go wrong with either boat, they both have great wakes and features.

Midwest. Great dealer too. He will give me some additional add-ons for close to cost. How is sound system without the big sub? The mxz does have the 8" speakers.

I am looking at a VLX with most options and it is around 72000. Doesnt have the heater but I really do not ride in the cold weather anyway. Bama, where did you buy your boat at? We have a place at Smith Lake.

Midwest. Great dealer too. He will give me some additional add-ons for close to cost. How is sound system without the big sub? The mxz does have the 8" speakers.

Imo, if you are buying any 2012 Malibu, get all the upgrades and a nice system. I don't think it would sound good without a sub woofer. Even with 8" speakers, this would not make up for a missing sub. I put a complete wetsounds/arc audio system for less than the soundpack 3 malibu offers.

Hoping to go out tomorrow or Saturday for a test drive. The sub I can add later to. I probably have a month or so before it starts to get warm around here.

I am looking at a VLX with most options and it is around 72000. Doesnt have the heater but I really do not ride in the cold weather anyway. Bama, where did you buy your boat at? We have a place at Smith Lake.

Pirates cove marine up at Tim's ford. You may actually fall into skiers marine out of Bham. They both work together well, as does TNT water sports in Nashville.

Edited by bamabonners

We're leaning towards the mxz. And putting the 12" sub in right away. Have to talk to the bank now. Trying to work a little magic with some equipment included or big discounts. Ropes, jackets and etc. Have ropes and stuff from our previous boat, but they are purple. New would red mxz or blue xlv. Have to match!

Edited by gslinger

Test drove the mxz last night. What a ride. Responsive and solid! Will try to post pics after we pick it up on Friday. Going to need to dial in the wake for surfing. It's pretty good stock, but need a little more height and longer. Any suggestions would be great.