Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Free Lead Ballast

New2Texas

Meaning if you swamp a boat full of water ballast the water won't continue to push the boat underwater after the water ballast is submerged at the lakes surface.....lead will sink to the bottom.

That makes perfect sense! Thanks for clarifying, I was having a tough time wrapping my brain around what it meant.

The difference is the boat sinks to just below the water's surface..... or to the bottom of the lake.

Frankly, in my book, sunk is sunk. The insurance company can have it at that point. A boat that has sunk on any level is prone to have a ton of problems in what remains of it's life.

The trick is to not weight the boat so much that it's not safe... just like having too many people on board.

That makes perfect sense! Thanks for clarifying, I was having a tough time wrapping my brain around what it meant.

The difference is the boat sinks to just below the water's surface..... or to the bottom of the lake.

Frankly, in my book, sunk is sunk. The insurance company can have it at that point. A boat that has sunk on any level is prone to have a ton of problems in what remains of it's life.

The trick is to not weight the boat so much that it's not safe... just like having too many people on board.

You can't wait for rescue on a boat thats sitting on the bottom of the lake though...

You can't wait for rescue on a boat thats sitting on the bottom of the lake though...

True dat.

The only times I've ever seen boats sink, there was no way anyone was going to sit on the sunk boat to wait for anything though.

One was sitting in the boat slip...... rain storm & a POS cover.

One bounced off a rock cliff into a bazillion pieces (Parker Strip near Havasu).

And one was in a horrendous storm & took too many waves over the side (Sammamish). Only this one had ballast on it & it was fat sacks. The guy ended up running it up on the beach when he figured out that he was not going to stay afloat. The bow stayed up on the beach but the stern was in about 4' or 5' of water. It destroyed the boat.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

unless you have enough anchors, subwoofers, extra ballast pumps, batteries and such. I know I've seen some stereo installs here that cumulatively have to match the weight of a few hundred pounds of pop bags.

Since the boats are NMMA certified I we put water in every spot inside the boat they won't sink to the bottom.

Yea, good luck with that. The guy I knew who beached his, the stern sank to the bottom. Maybe because the engine is in the rear?

And the boat that hit the rocks & broke up, sank like a rock. Although there were some pieces of it floating.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

A newer Sanger went straight to the bottom a few years ago after hitting rocks (do a search). We keep plenty of life jackets in our boat, but I pray we never need to use them all at once!