Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower too far back?

Asmodeus2112

I had a Titan Tower on a SSLXI and if i remember correctly, the windshield was close or maybe it was the mirror that was close to hitting the tower when i opened it.

My Titan 1 tower sits not to far behind the front rails in the bow. Just looking at mine compared to the pic of that one, looks about close to a foot to far back.

Yes, Indeed. After what i read about the Monster tower I think I'd rather toss it and replace, but on it's a big item on a used boat. I like the look of Titan 1's on boats of this vintage and my previous T1 was solid. How well do holes look after re-gel? I'll do a search.

One of the benefits of the Monster is that it can be packaged up to ship in a smaller box, and it can expand to fit a wide variety of boats. The joints that make all that possible have a tendency to loosen, rattle, squeak & possibly break. The Titan is actually made for your width boat, no upper joints to cause problems.

As for the fiberglass work, it just depends on what is available in your area. I imagine you could use the rear mounting points & just have the front mounting points gelcoated over (although they both seem kind of mounted far back). Just a guess, but it would probably cost about $200 or $300 per foot to patch & respray the gelcoat. Depending on how well the job is done, it could be matched perfectly.... or not. It's a real talent.

Another option might be to bolt down something over the holes... ie; a vent, a step pad, drip molded Malibu decal, even just a piece of billet/carbon fiber. Probably cost less & could possibly be useable in some way. And might make it possible to make this a DIY project.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Yes, Indeed. After what i read about the Monster tower I think I'd rather toss it and replace, but on it's a big item on a used boat. I like the look of Titan 1's on boats of this vintage and my previous T1 was solid. How well do holes look after re-gel? I'll do a search.

I changed the tower on my 99 VLX from the factory Tuna Tower to the Titan I, is was easy, except for drilling the holes of course!

Once you re-gel it you can barley see it, I would do it again without any hesitation. I have a good gel guy that all the dealerships use in San Antonio if you need one.

martinarcher

I went from a Monster Tower to a Titan III on my boat and re-used the tower mounts, but it meant a lot of custom tubing work. It turned out great, but it was a good bit of work and welding. Just an FYI, the Monster towers and very compact (front to rear legs are close) compared to a TI or TII. Like Bill said, I bet you could reuse the rear mounts and put a TI on it that looks pretty good.

One of the benefits of the Monster is that it can be packaged up to ship in a smaller box, and it can expand to fit a wide variety of boats. The joints that make all that possible have a tendency to loosen, rattle, squeak & possibly break. The Titan is actually made for your width boat, no upper joints to cause problems.

As for the fiberglass work, it just depends on what is available in your area. I imagine you could use the rear mounting points & just have the front mounting points gelcoated over (although they both seem kind of mounted far back). Just a guess, but it would probably cost about $200 or $300 per foot to patch & respray the gelcoat. Depending on how well the job is done, it could be matched perfectly.... or not. It's a real talent.

Another option might be to bolt down something over the holes... ie; a vent, a step pad, drip molded Malibu decal, even just a piece of billet/carbon fiber. Probably cost less & could possibly be useable in some way. And might make it possible to make this a DIY project.

That is a great idea. Maybe a good place for some pop up cleats.

• Like 1

With those front mounts being mounted on the side of the boat, I think I would have somebody do the work. Working on the angled surfaces is pretty difficult to make it not noticeable.

For a local fiberglass repair option you may want to consider contacting McNeill Marine. Following is a link to their website:

www.mcneillmarineservices.com/

• Like 1