Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SQUARE WINDSHEILD CLUB.......WHAT IS THIS?

MALIBU/DUKE 87

heres some background

87 malibu skier, in the process of resurrecting her

previous owner(oringal) was a big fishermen,

im new to malibu(but love em)

is this some kind of factory wedge plate? or is this aftermarket?

thanks guys

2012-04-03095332.jpg

I believe that is a "Scarpa Plate"- that enhances the wake characteristics for barefooting....or at least something similar to it.

Edited by davemac

I believe that is a "Scarpa Plate"- that enhances the wake characteristics for barefooting....or at least something similar to it.

interesting....after some quick research, sound like it does nothing for wakboarding huh?

how does it benifit sking?

Are those exhaust flappers recessed inside? At first glance I thought they were blocked altogether.

yes they are

how does it benifit sking?

My barefooting buddy has a newer version plate on his new Response. It does NOT help the wake from a skiing perspective....makes it crisp and hard.

My barefooting buddy has a newer version plate on his new Response. It does NOT help the wake from a skiing perspective....makes it crisp and hard.

ok thanks,

im the farthest thing from a seasoned wake boarder,...............but considering im running no ballast,wedge,or fat sacks, this might be a slight improvement over a "stock" wake for wakeboarding?

sorry, no idea how it would affect the wake for boarding. Perhaps one of the barefooters (or a Skier owner past or present) will chime in. The way it is screwed into the hull, it would not appear to be a quick and simple removal.

The way it is screwed into the hull, it would not appear to be a quick and simple removal.

my thoughts excatly! :lame: hopefully it helps more than hurts, we will be tubing as well

That plate (which kinda looks home-made) would flatten and harden up the table which would help with the barefoot wake. Otherwise, the slalom wake is soft, with a nice rounded, low, comfortable...DAMN I WANT TO GO SKIING!!!!

That plate (which kinda looks home-made) would flatten and harden up the table which would help with the barefoot wake. Otherwise, the slalom wake is soft, with a nice rounded, low, comfortable...DAMN I WANT TO GO SKIING!!!!

:lol:

haha yea its 70 degrees here in my neck of the woods :clap:

i suppose ill leave it on then............? :whistle:

Edited by MALIBU/DUKE 87

Wow do I feel old.

It's a "cavitation plate" boys and girls. These were all popular in the late 80's and perhaps even the early 90's on some models. While I'm not versed on the technical details of them, my hypothesis is that it extended the running surface over the prop area, so that the prop did not suck in air and cavitate. Look at the American Skiers (Skier/Advance/Legend), the Malibu Skiers, and many others in that vintage. They all had them. Supra ran them for a long time, but I think Ski Brendella ran them the longest of anyone.

Edit : It's not a scarpa suppression plate - he was running Barefoot Nautique direct drives back when these were around...

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Wow do I feel old.

It's a "cavitation plate" boys and girls. These were all popular in the late 80's and perhaps even the early 90's on some models. While I'm not versed on the technical details of them, my hypothesis is that it extended the running surface over the prop area, so that the prop did not suck in air and cavitate. Look at the American Skiers (Skier/Advance/Legend), the Malibu Skiers, and many others in that vintage. They all had them. Supra ran them for a long time, but I think Ski Brendella ran them the longest of anyone.

Edit : It's not a scarpa suppression plate - he was running Barefoot Nautique direct drives back when these were around...

Thanks, i didnt know inboards had that issue as much as outboards did :whistle:

so it stays

Edited by MALIBU/DUKE 87

..they also told people for years that their boats did not ballast, just adjust the TAPS plate.

hahahahaha

wow ......thats bad lol common sense would say otherwise just looking at it

must have some flex tho, hense the adjusting arms?

Edited by MALIBU/DUKE 87

Throw 500lbs on either side of the dogbox in your Skier and you'll have plenty of wake to throw inverts. :rockon:

could one pump fill both 500lb sacks?

I think TIGE still runs them and call's it the TAPS system....they also told people for years that their boats did not ballast, just adjust the TAPS plate.

hahahahaha

+1 This plate is NOT for enhancing the wake. Other things I've heard about plates like this is you can adjust them down to help you plane faster. Plates like that made appearances on a couple wakeboats that advertised it as a wake shaper saying it enhanced the wake. That's all a bunch of BS, as you said anyone that looks at it would understand that it will do nothing for the wake.

Unfortunately that opinion then got cast on the malibu wedge because it was also a hunk of metal that hung off the back. The difference of course being the wedge acts like a spoiler on a car and presses the rear down. The wedge actually does something, the plate does not.

Easy way to expose someone you should never listen to is when they tell you the TAPS plate works, the malibu wedge doesn't, or they ask you "how fast does it go" about your wakeboard boat. :)

Quite a few Centurions and Sangers since 2000 have had the fixed plate like that. Even on their V-drives.

With it in the position shown above, it will drag in the water when starting to plane, as the nose goes up. That way it will push the back of the boat up and help it to plane out quicker. When on plane, the one pictured above is probably out of the water and doing nothing.

Notice that it is adjustable, and with a wrench, you can put it further down, and could even have some impact on the boat's attitude when on plane if you wanted it to.

There are still many manufacturers that run wake plates/ trim tabs etc. Modern ones have an adjustable ram that will push the plate up and down. Mastercraft's surf tabs, tige taps, supra's wake plate, nautique's hydro plate (on the just introduced G23 no less), MB's cavitation plate, Sanger's Bennet Trim Tab are all examples.

interesting........doesnt seem like the plate would adjust much at all, since it is just a metal plate with a 90 degree bend in it... :whistle:

the screws dont look like i would trust them with too much stress

thanks for all the ideas everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

The Tige taps plate may look similar but is actually to re-create the hook found at the trailing edge of the bottom which helps create lift. For a larger wake they adjust this up .

This plate pictured was to create lift too but not in place of hook. It was probably to make it plane quicker, have lower or better shaped wakes at certain speeds.

Technically cavitation is where pressure drops locally below the vapor pressure of the water allowing it to expand into vapor form but sucking air from the surface is often called that. I've experienced that more with ob's & io's.

Easy way to expose someone you should never listen to is when they tell you the TAPS plate works, the malibu wedge doesn't, or they ask you "how fast does it go" about your wakeboard boat. :)

Maybe they want to foot? Nothing flattens rough water like a big wakeboard boat! I wouldn't plan on doing wake crossings but tricking in the curl works great.

The Tige taps plate may look similar but is actually to re-create the hook found at the trailing edge of the bottom which helps create lift. For a larger wake they adjust this up .

This plate pictured was to create lift too but not in place of hook. It was probably to make it plane quicker, have lower or better shaped wakes at certain speeds.

Technically cavitation is where pressure drops locally below the vapor pressure of the water allowing it to expand into vapor form but sucking air from the surface is often called that. I've experienced that more with ob's & io's.

^^^ said much better than I could have explained it.