Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is the best wakeboard?

ACE

I am new to the crew and I am new to the sport and looking for some advice on what wakeboard and binding to purchase. I just ordered a wakesetter 23 LSV and I am very comfortable with snowboarding and surfing and hoping that wakeboarding will be a easy adjustment. I don't know much about the sport, but I assume that it will hurt less when you hit the water rather than missing a trick and landing on the ice. Please help!!!!

Thanks

I went from a hyperlite project 142 to a hyperlite parks 136 or 138 (I can't remember) and on my first ride I probably got an easy 1- 1.5 feet of more air then I normally did. The parks board is super easy to spin, give you tons of pop, but it isn't very forgiving. I am not an advanced rider at all, but that board supposed to be meant for the intermediate-advcanced riders.

I just got a CWB Absolute which I have heard very good things about. I can't give you my opinion as I have not ridden it yet. I have been riding an old Hyperlite Fluid for quite some time and it has served me well. For a first board I would not be concerned with getting the ultimate board. Just get something decent at a good price so you can learn what you do and don't like in a board. I would definitely get something from last year as you can save a lot of money.

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/closeouts.l...area=wakeboards

-Philip

"Best"...depends on the size and skill of the rider. Best bet is to demo a bunch before you buy. Too many choices...twin-fin...tri-fin...molded-in fins...finless...continuous rocker...3-stage rocker... Surprised.gif ...kinda makes your head spin. Everyone will have their own favorites but that doesn't mean they'll work for you. Find a dealer nearby that does demo's and have some fun trying them out. Most shops that do demo's will apply some (or all) of the rental fees that you pay towards the purchase price of a board.

"Best"...depends on the size and skill of the rider.

I agree! Its all a matter of personal preferance also. I have a LF 138 trip & 139 team board!

Don't really know why I ended up with two boards so close!

But still want a 140 parks! JSP is right about the parks!!

There is a huge amount of pop difference!

How much are you going to ride?

If you're going to go out once a week all summer get a subtle 3 stage rocker like a Premier.

If you're going to go out once a month get a continuous rocker like a Motive, 3DS.

Start with some higher end bindings, maybe CWB hinge techs, easy in easy out, I wish I ordered some.

I've been through about 6 boards in 2 years and have rode many more. As you progress, board performance becomes increasingly reliant on personal preference and style.

I would reccomend liquid force alpha bindings, there relatively cheap high end bindings, and comfortable.

p.s. some falls will still hurt

Edited by Moufoo

I bought the CWB Absolute at Sporthaus (local), they will let you demo and are close to internet prices. They also sell LF boards, my wife rides the Team and likes it well. Both of these boards are good enough for beginners and advanced riders as well. Sundown (local) also demos boards, they can let you know what they think. Just don't get in a big hurry, try some first. I would recommend getting the CWB Zeus bindings, they are easy in and out, and very supportive. You can out grow a board but comfortable bindings are always a must no matter what level you ride at.

There are more informed shops in Seattle and Portland but you can't demo, besides you can get every major brand in the Tri-cities and they have good service.

I bought the CWB Absolute at Sporthaus (local), they will let you demo and are close to internet prices. They also sell LF boards, my wife rides the Team and likes it well. Both of these boards are good enough for beginners and advanced riders as well. Sundown (local) also demos boards, they can let you know what they think. Just don't get in a big hurry, try some first. I would recommend getting the CWB Zeus bindings, they are easy in and out, and very supportive. You can out grow a board but comfortable bindings are always a must no matter what level you ride at.

There are more informed shops in Seattle and Portland but you can't demo, besides you can get every major brand in the Tri-cities and they have good service.

I would not put a beginner on an Absolute, but I would definitely agree that comfortable bindings are very important. It does not matter whether they are "advanced" or not.

Wow, that’s a lot of info and I really appreciate the advice I'll let you know what my thoughts are when I get done with the demos. Again thanks a lot for all that took the time to help out a newbie.

For all-around riding get a Hyperlite Motive or Liquid Force Trip. They are both proven designs that any level can ride and have fun on. A really good beginner board is the Sol. Once you ride for awhile you can figure out exactly what your looking for in a board...........

If you're going to go out once a week all summer get a subtle 3 stage rocker like a Premier.

If you're going to go out once a month get a continuous rocker like a Motive, 3DS.

Start with some higher end bindings, maybe CWB hinge techs, easy in easy out, I wish I ordered some.

I've been through about 6 boards in 2 years and have rode many more. As you progress, board performance becomes increasingly reliant on personal preference and style.

I plan on riding at lease once a week. I have work every weekend but have Monday-Tuesday off so I’ll be on the river both days after my round of golf.

Another question.... What size is good for someone about 6'2" around 175lbs. Also What are the benefits of a longer board vs. a shorter board?

I plan on riding at lease once a week. I have work every weekend but have Monday-Tuesday off so I’ll be on the river both days after my round of golf.

Another question.... What size is good for someone about 6'2" around 175lbs. Also What are the benefits of a longer board vs. a shorter board?

Hyperlite Motive 141 ought to be a good board to learn on. Typically you can pick it up w/ a binding combination. Its basically the Belmont and the design has worked real well, so much so that they haven't changed it for a few seasons.

Shorter boards for lighter people...... Check some of the board sites and you'll see they usually have a weight range for the different size boards.

That said, some experienced riders will choose a smaller board than recommended just cuz it will spin better, IIRC.

I would also recommend the HL Motive to you, either in the 140 or 144 for your size. It is a good stable board that will let you learn, but also take you a long ways. Look at what Shaun Murray could do with this board (when it was called the Belmont).

If you're going to ride twice a week, you'll out grow the Motive pretty quick. You'll want something with more abrupt pop and more importantly softer landings. However, when just learning the Motive is stable and fun. It's all about how hard you're going to push your progression. I started on a Motive and rode it about 20 times before I wanted a softer landing board. Larger boards in general have more pop and land softer.

Definently get the cwb torq's. I have them and they are easy in and easy out. you don't have to fight to get in.

Edited by mali_vride