Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower shocks on the G3/REV 10/XM 9's

Fman

Could someone with a pair of REV 10's or XM 9's (assuming they are close in weight) with a G3 tower please tell me how easy or difficult is to lift your tower when stowed. I think I have the wrong shock installed in my G3. When I erect the tower there is no way it will hold the tower in the upright position without slamming down. I fabbed up a 2x4 to wedge under the tower to hold it while I install the knobs. My dealer said they checked my order sheet, and they requested the heavy duty shocks be installed for tower speakers but I cant imagine this being how they should perform. By no means is it close to being feather light. My dealer said the tower speakers Malibu installs are much lighter than the REV 10's. They are checking to see if there is a stronger shock available, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from other owners if they are experiencing the same results with this setup.

Edited by Fman

Per Malibu Customer service........There are no heavy duty shocks heavier than what is the upgraded per the spec sheet you have received. I have a pair of Wetsounds pro 60's on either side. Malibu says they will only warranty the tower with the upgraded shocks if you put something heavier than what is approved per their specs they will not warranty any issues. They said if you put more speakers than they have tested.

Fman...I speak of personal experience......

I have cut a notch into the fake deck lumber and use that as support when I raise and lower my tower. I dont think there is any shock when fully expanded with raise back up with that much weight.....I would be interested if you findout more.

LTD

Could someone with a pair of REV 10's or XM 9's (assuming they are close in weight) with a G3 tower please tell me how easy or difficult is to lift your tower when stowed. I think I have the wrong shock installed in my G3. When I erect the tower there is no way it will hold the tower in the upright position without slamming down.

I dont think they were ever designed to be able to HOLD the tower up... only make it a little easier to lift and lower. its always been a 2 man operation to lift or lower the tower for me.... one to hold the tower and the other to do the knobs.

Reminds me, I want to get some of that plumber's thread tape or thread locker for my knobs...they always seem to work a little loose after a few outings.

Ok, sounds like this is norm.... I looked at a Malibu video with a girl lifting the tower with one finger, my wife could never get this tower up by herself. Nyryan2001, I have found when I wedge the 2x4 that is notched under the tower and install the knobs it helps them from ever coming loose. Putting the upward pressure on the tower seems to lock them in when you release the tension from the 2x4. Might want to give this method a try or have someone press up on the tower when you install the knobs. Prior to doing it this way I also experienced the knobs coming loose.

I dont think they were ever designed to be able to HOLD the tower up... only make it a little easier to lift and lower. its always been a 2 man operation to lift or lower the tower for me.... one to hold the tower and the other to do the knobs.

Reminds me, I want to get some of that plumber's thread tape or thread locker for my knobs...they always seem to work a little loose after a few outings.

I use a Allen wrench on a Socket and snug it up...versus just hand tight... This will work if you have the upgraded knobs from Malibu OEM

Definitely wont hold up on its own. I have a threesome wetsounds system (one 485, two 8's) on mine and it is REALLY heavy even with a little help from shocks. I push up on tower while someone else puts in screws. When I lower for garage I have cut a pvc pipe. I wedge in walkway and put open tub into bracket where the bimini poles connect. I do put a towel in between the vinyl but it keep the tower and speaker off dash which is incredibly important.

I use a Allen wrench on a Socket and snug it up...versus just hand tight... This will work if you have the upgraded knobs from Malibu OEM

What do these knobs look like and is it only a Dealer option??

Yes dealer option. I know Bakes sells aftermarket handles. Im not sure if Bakes has a inset allen inside the handle or not. You might want to call Paul at Bakes to confirm. The dealer option is expensive but well worth it.

Hope that helps.

LTD