Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Liquid Sports Marine - Orlando - BEWARE!

theaslip

I just don't understand how this is Malibu's fault. And why was ur personal stuff still in the boat if you were gonna sell it? I do agree you have a price issue w your dealer but you guys both should of had that in writing. Moral of this story is "get everything in writing."

I have to agree..You really cant blame Malibu because of a crappy situation you had with a Dealer. It sucks they burned you but I would go about it in a different way. I would give malibu a call directly and let them know of the situation. Maybe there is something they can do to make it right and possibly even repercussions for the dealer.

When you decided that you were going to sell the boat, I would have gone down there to get my stuff from the boat...simple as that. I am glad to hear you have never been burned but I have learned a lot being in the military as well as being a cop...1. You can't trust anyone nowdays(which is very unfortunate) 2. Get everything in writing.

It is really sad to say that the days of taking one's word as gold, or a handshake sealing a deal are long behind us.

Good luck to you

I certainly understand your frustration! It appears that is was all mis-communication on both sides, you had expectations, they had expectations, yet no one had the same.

When I take my boat to the dealer I REMOVE ALL gear, even the carpet.

I wish you the best of luck on trying to get your stuff back!

Edited by srintx
1. I brought the boat for service/repair. Didn't initially plan on selling it. Decided to sell during the 3+ month repair process and communicated by phone. 2. Everything in writing. Yep. You are right. Guilty as charged. Guess I'm lucky - have never been burned before. I'm not seeking reimbursement as nobody forced me to cash the check he gave me and I could have walked from the deal (albeit without a boat as it was already gone). I really just wanted to be done with it - an: now I only want my gear back - and a decent dealer would have sent a kid in a pickup to the boat that day to get everything for me. 3. Why punish Malibu? Fair question and I suspect many will disagree. I want Malibu to know this dealer is costing them future business. I won't do business with a company that trusts a dealer like this to service their customers. Let's say I'm dumb and was warned. This dealer used to be MC. A neighbor who was a 15 year MC factory sponsored slalom skier who was also a 15 year MC employee gave me the DL on this dealer last year, and why MC parted ways with them. You don't have to say it. I'm the dumb one.

So, you're not seeking reimbursement or for the sale to be nullified, you cashed the check (although you say you didn't have to), and you gripe to Malibu? I can't say that I follow. If you're not happy with that price, did you tell them to bring the boat back, its not sold, and you're not signing the title over for less than what you agreed?

So you discussed over the phone you wanted them to broker your boat. They sold it and you didn't have to sign any kind of bill of sale or title transfer paperwork?

So you discussed over the phone you wanted them to broker your boat. They sold it and you didn't have to sign any kind of bill of sale or title transfer paperwork?

Says he showed up to give title, which he apparently did. Dealer would obviously have BOS on the buyer and his contact info...

I don't understand OP's handling. Why give them the title if it was for less than what he wanted? As for the gear, why give the title without A) getting stuff back first or B) putting on the invoice that he's due back his stuff?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

We recently sold our boat in the exact same manner through the dealer. The only thing I did differently than the OP was that I took all my stuff out of the boat when I brought it to the dealer to sell and I had them call me with any offer to ok the final sale price. They handled everything else and it worked out great.

Secondly, not sure what OPs ski buddy told him, but Mastercraft moved to formerly southeast correct craft when Correct Craft sold controlling interest in company and, as I understand it, because Meloon family had ownership interests in CC distributorships and dealerships, that structure changed.

Good luck proving that they intended to deprive you of your property. Many people sell their boat with boating gear included. Sorry to be direct, but you don't have a claim here. Don't blame Malibu for your ignorance. To be frank, the note sounds like it was written by a spoiled kid who didn't get his way.

Good luck proving that they intended to deprive you of your property. Many people sell their boat with boating gear included. Sorry to be direct, but you don't have a claim here. Don't blame Malibu for your ignorance. To be frank, the note sounds like it was written by a spoiled kid who didn't get his way.

Im going to have to agree to this, considering the old adage that possession in 9/10ths of the law. The moment I decided to sell a boat I would offload whatever items were not included with it. You also have to consider the point of contact in this transaction. Was it just one person? If so, was it a manager? If not, contact him/her.

I would address the problem of the dealers actions with Malibu. Ranting on web forums won't get your stuff back, and it won't help in getting Malibu to pull its product from them.

If a dealer is acting like this, the company that they represent needs to be aware of it. You would think a rep would at least hear word of this and report back to Malibu.

I understand that if this is the only Malibu dealer in town that you would switch to another brand, but you can't blame Malibu as a company for the dealer's business practices.

As mentioned previously, I would not have cashed the check until I got my stuff back. In most cases, possession after the sale has been completed will leave you without a leg to stand on.

Do you guys even leave this sort of stuff in the boat when you take it to the dealer for anything? I empty mine of everything that's not screwed down. Don't want to tempt anyone. I doubt most dealers are even responsible for items left in the boat.

I agree. I'll leave some stuff like an anchor rope or maybe a few extra vests but aside from theft, I don't want to inconvenience dealer moving my stuff around and having to find a place for it around the shop. As a former shop employee, I can say it is exceedingly frustrating for dealerships.

My dealer charges you extra if you leave stuff in the boat, they don't want to have to unload your compartments to get to things.

Terry

i trust my dealer 100%, but I still take out everything before taking it in, I even remove the removable seat pads so they can get where they need to to work, I also usually leave the boat the night before, covered but in their lot, so i wouldn't want to have anything in the boat that could get legs overnight.

Like others have said, it is common to sell a boat with nothing or with everything (best day of boating - day I bought it, day I sold it).

The OP is deleted, so I don't have the whole story.