Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does the prop effect the wake?

Fitz33

Hey crew, I have a 2002 Lsv and have the stock prop. I am switching out props this year due to all the extra ballast we are running for surfing now. First does anyone recommend a certain prop that would work well for this boat, and does the prop have any effect on wake size????? Thanks!

I don’t think the prop will effect size but it can make the wake harder or softer. It did some time back but with the new CNC props I don’t have enough experience to say yes for sure. The new CNC props now can have as much prop on a three blade as an older four blade . With the new three blade props I just have not had a need to play with props. Most of my experience have been with skiing not boarding or surfing.

I say yes on a weighted boat. If your prop doesn't plan good it will cause the front of the boat to be higher out of the water. I have a 06 V-ride and I had the stock 537 added the 2000+ to the boat. It could plan but the bow was extra high and when I tried to stop the back of the boat would go under water surf and wakeboarding. I put a 1235 on and all my problems went away. I went with the 1235 because I am running 3000+ on my boat. Different amounts need different props. I think under 2500 you can go with the 1273. If you give Paul a call at BAKES he will point you in the right direction. Bakesonline.com

What is your stock prop now?

How are you going to be loading your boat?

Will you still need top end speed or is it ok to lose a few MPH?

What LSV and motor do you have?

What altitude are you at?

All of these answers could affect as to what prop would work best for you application.

I'm hoping to have a GB on props soon for paid members.

All of these answers could affect as to what prop would work best for you application.

I think I am running the 537 acme, for surfing I run 750 in the surf side locker, ski locker ballast 500 i think, 300 in the bow with wedge down. I am planning on adding another 750 for the surf side seat this year. We are in New Hampshire, and have the Hammerhead. I dont mind losing a little top end, but Ive read posts that concern me about elavated RPM's of the 1235.

On my 2000 wakesetter i switched from a 537 to a 1235 this year. We mainly surf and wake board. It was an amazing improvement. The boat has no effort at all getting to plane loaded worth 3300lbs of ballast. The wave is taller, firmer, with more push than ever with the improved prop. Also the wave comes up sooner, it takes less time for the wave to be set....which likely means I come to semi? plane faster. The motor feels more efficient at lower speeds. The best wave speed increased from 9.7 to about 10.5 mph. I havent topped the boat out yet with the new prop. We spend 90% of our time below 20 mph with the surf boards and air chair. If i was into skiing at 34 or 36 mph i would say it is too much prop for that. Otherwise, its perfect for everything else.

Edited by WakesetterE

On my 2000 wakesetter i switched from a 537 to a 1235 this year. We mainly surf and wake board. It was an amazing improvement. The boat has no effort at all getting to plane loaded worth 3300lbs of ballast. The wave is taller, firmer, with more push than ever with the improved prop. Also the wave comes up sooner, it takes less time for the wave to be set....which likely means I come to semi? plane faster. The motor feels more efficient at lower speeds. The best wave speed increased from 9.7 to about 10.5 mph. I havent topped the boat out yet with the new prop. We spend 90% of our time below 20 mph with the surf boards and air chair. If i was into skiing at 34 or 36 mph i would say it is too much prop for that. Otherwise, its perfect for everything else.

Hey how are you setting up that 3300 for surfing?? Are you happy with it?

We are very happy with it. It took a while to figure it all out, trial and error, but now its great. I have a 600 lb bow tank, a 500 pound bag I put in the nose, 1100 in the rear locker, 300 under the seats, plus the wedge. We can surf pretty easy with no additional riders, but 4 more folks are better.

The prop wash itself changes with props &/or whether or not your using the Wedge. Bigger props with more blades & using the Wedge will make the prop wash wider. And a big, thrashing prop wash messes with a foil rider a LOT... to the point that it will toss a less experienced rider. For that reason I prefer no Wedge, just weight.

I ride about 26 mph but I think it's like this across the board. Probably not nearly as big a deal to a surface rider.