Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

De-winterization questions from a 500hr newbie

My 06' Wakesetter VLX has 508 hours on it. This past winter a buddy helped me winterize it. Before that, the dealer 3 hrs away did it for an arm and two legs. Today I dewinterized it. I have several questions.

In case it matters, the boat is stored in N. Georgia in an unheated, detached garage. This was a mild winter. Winterization conisted of detaching a few hoses. (I do have pics) and a couple of cables and putting sta-bil in the fuel. We did not touch the plugs.

Today, I reconnected the hoses and cables and took the boat out. Pretty quickly I noticed water in the bilge and found a leak where I had reconnected the hoses (3-way connection on starboard side). I fiddled with those and that reduced the leak considerably but it still seems to be taking on a bit of water. While any makes me nervous, I don't think it enough to worry about. Comments welcome.

After a quick wakeboard session to loosen my 50+ year old joints, I put the boat on the trailer and towed it the 2 miles back to the garage. With the oil warm, I attempted my first oil change.

I'm guessing I sucked 3-4 quarts (if you include oil in the oil filter) out. I wasn't expecting 5 quarts and didn't put 5 quarts back. This is where the questions really start.

1) In my flat garage, the oil is now in the operating level, but on the low end of the range per the dipstick. My plan is when I take it out again, I will check oil before going out and if it is still ok but low, I will run it to heat up the oil, then stop for a few minutes to let the oil settle. Then I will check it again. If low, I will add it. Is there a better approach?

2) I have a Monsoon 340. I removed a Pennzoil PZ-53 filter and replaced it with a NAPA Gold 1069. Is that ok. The 1069 was a little longer. I hand-tightened the filter. Is that correct?

3) The operators manual referred to a quick drain tube for the oil. I couldn't find it. Is there one? Can someone provide a pic/description/location?

4) How do I change the tranny fluid?

5) I estimate that I put 60 hrs a summer on it (I bought it new/used as a demo. It had 200 hrs on it then).

6) Comments welcome on the impeller and spark plugs (how often to change, who should do it). What should I be reading/viewing.

I haven't been using this forum for a while. There are a number if DIYs here and I appreciate the help.

1) In my flat garage, the oil is now in the operating level, but on the low end of the range per the dipstick. My plan is when I take it out again, I will check oil before going out and if it is still ok but low, I will run it to heat up the oil, then stop for a few minutes to let the oil settle. Then I will check it again. If low, I will add it. Is there a better approach?

Sounds like a good approach. You should be good.

2) I have a Monsoon 340. I removed a Pennzoil PZ-53 filter and replaced it with a NAPA Gold 1069. Is that ok. The 1069 was a little longer. I hand-tightened the filter. Is that correct?

NAPA 1069 is the right filter...and a little past hand tight should be good

3) The operators manual referred to a quick drain tube for the oil. I couldn't find it. Is there one? Can someone provide a pic/description/location?

It is a rubber tube that is connected to the bottem of the oil pan. It can be run through the bilge plug hole and the brass plug in the end of the tube can be removed to drain the oil. Mine has a clip on the end and is attached to one of the motor lifting brackets on the rear drivers side of the engine.

4) How do I change the tranny fluid?

Suck it out the transmission dip stick hole. Use a trukey baster, power drill pump or similar.

5) I estimate that I put 60 hrs a summer on it (I bought it new/used as a demo. It had 200 hrs on it then).

6) Comments welcome on the impeller and spark plugs (how often to change, who should do it). What should I be reading/viewing.

Impeller change every other year (some do it every year). Spark plugs every 300 hours.. All easy DIY activities. Read lots of posts on here about winterizing....

I haven't been using this forum for a while. There are a number if DIYs here and I appreciate the help.