Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help fixing cool heater

I saw a few threads on getting the heater to pump out hot air when at idle. I want to make this mod to my boat but I need some help on what to do. I've labled the 2 heater hoses (Please confirm I'm correct if you can) below. I know I only need to move the return line to y into the raw water intake, but I'm not sure which is the return line. Also, what should I do with the port that the hose came from? Cap it off? With what? Thanks for the help in advance:

Hoses2.jpg

Hoses1.jpg

Edited by Jimmypooh

Is your engine a Monsoon 340? If so then, take your Heater Hose 2 and connect it to the small part of the Y adapter. Pull the fitting out of the block and replace with a brass plug. Be sure to use teflon tape or plumbers pipe dope on the brass plug threads. Run the boat and bring it up to operating temp (160 deg F) and check for leaks.

Edited by BuFootin

Is your engine a Monsoon 340? If so then, take your Heater Hose 2 and connect it to the small part of the Y adapter. Pull the fitting out of the block and replace with a brass plug. Be sure to use teflon tape or plumbers pipe dope on the brass plug threads. Run the boat and bring it up to operating temp (160 deg F) and check for leaks.

Yep, it's

That's great help. What size plug/type of threads?

Thanks!

Yep, it's

Thanks!

Don't know thread size of the top of my head. Go ahead and remove the connector that is in there and take it into your favorite hardware store (Home Depot, Lowe's). It's not anything unique to marine, as long as it is brass your good.

Yep, it's

Thanks!

Its an NPT thread, that will get you into the correct isle at the hardware store. I'd guess a 3/4" fitting but don't quote me, you could measure the OD and look it up pretty quick online.

I appreciate all the help! The reason I ask before getting into the project is that it's a pain to go into town in the middle of a project for me since we're on an island. If I don't have all the parts upfront, I have to add an extra hour or more onto the project. I'll pick up a 1/2" NPT plug to use for this.

Thanks again!

Jim

I appreciate all the help! The reason I ask before getting into the project is that it's a pain to go into town in the middle of a project for me since we're on an island. If I don't have all the parts upfront, I have to add an extra hour or more onto the project. I'll pick up a 1/2" NPT plug to use for this.

Thanks again!

Jim

An Island.....In Indiana ?? :dontknow:

is it me... or does your island look like E.T.?

Never thought about it. I guess it does look like him.

Ever thought about adding a circulation pump to one of the heater hoses?

I talked to Paul at bakes about it and he said that was an option but can be noisy. I'll give this a shot first. I got the Y pipe recently and noticed the smaller pipe on it is actually restricted pretty heavily. I assume that's so the raw water intake doesn't pull too much water from the heater therefore not cooling the engine as efficiently as pulling from the lake. I figure if this Y pipe doesn't help as much as I want, I can open that restriction more and add a 1/4 turn valve to control how much goes through the heater.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. I got this installed 2 weekends ago. Everything went pretty smooth. The hardest part was getting the barbed fitting out of the circulation pump to replace with the plug. I had to use a vice grip since I couldn't really get an open end fully on there. It was too close to the pump housing. I ended up really messing up the old fitting but that doesn't really matter. All else went great. I haven't dropped the boat in the water yet, but could at any time.

Thanks to all who helped!