Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need a head unit?

ffdawg

Since I'll be redoing my whole system due to the theft, it got me thinking about how I used my previous one. Basically all I used my head unit for was an input for my ipod and volume control. All music functions (playlist selection, search, skip, fast forward, etc) were done through the ipod. My old head unit had an infrared remote which was useless to me in the boat and, while not necessary, I would like to have a transom and possibly bow remotes so I don't need to keep jumping in and grabbing my ipod to change the music or volume, if this is possible. In order to do that do I need to install a head unit, or is there a better option?

Assume you are just thinking of adding an EQ? I am not sure any of the EQs have transom remotes. I suspect you will end up having to get a head unit if you want the transom remotes. I would love to have a new head unit that has built in Bluetooth audio streaming. If I were replacing a system I would go with the Bluetooth head unit plus an EQ. We use an iPod dock connector plugged into the aux input for most of our listening. A Bluetooth connection would make this a lot easier. I really like the AudioControl EQ although the WetSound EQ has separate EQ controls for the tower vs. in-boat speakers so many people hear have opted for that.

Read about your theft in another thread that really sucks not the route anyone wants for an audio upgrade. Hope things work out with your insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

JP-- I've been wondering the same thing and haven't figured it out. I don't need a head unit.. just something bluetooth/usb/ipod to send a pre-amp signal to the amps.

But I kinda agree that to get the remotes, you'll probably need a HU.

Looking forward to the boat parties this summer! I am adding another set of pop-up cleats the the middle/widest part of my boat so I can raft with you/others.

KM

Edited by mayfike

Audio Control EQ with Bluetooth here, no HU and no issues. Not sure how you are going to do it without a HU and still have the remotes though.

which one are you using, i can't seem to find any? thanks