Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Grinding noise in neutral

hello, I am having the exact same issue with my Response. The sound from your video post was same as I am encountering when I put throttle in neutral position.

Have you found a fix for this grinding noise ?

No, I haven't. I find several similar problems on past posts on other forums using google, but no one comes back to verify the fix. Keep me posted if you figure it out, and I'll certainly do the same. I see a lot of people that think it is the damper plate or shift cable, but from reading about those issues, it seems it should clunk going in and out of gear or make noise while in gear. It operates perfectly fine, except for the grinding when the shifter is straight up. I'd hate to grenade my damper plate and tear up more stuff, but I'm reluctant to completely tear the boat apart to replace it when I'm not convinced that is the issue.

The neutral safety switch I on the top of the tranny. It is right below the ECM on my Monsoon.

Thanks, but now that I think about it, I don't think that is the issue. Just the switch itself being bad woudn't engage the starter in neutral like I'm experiencing.

You need to have someone at the helm when it happens and then you go back to engine to isolate from where its coming. shouldnt' be hard given the volume! IT sure does sound like a starter but just for kicks hows tranny fluid? have you shifted into and out of gear by hand (disconencted cable?) Could be slightly out of adjustment.

Pull you starter and check your gears. If the starter is sticking, you will see a lot of shavings from the flywheel and starter gear. If you only see a little, try cleaning any visible shavings up and see if they quickly come back.

It could also be the solenoid on the starter (not the ignition switch) that is energizing and pushing those gears together. Your boat is 12 years old, have you done anything to the starter? It may be time for a rebuild regardless, like $75.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried shifting manually yet. I don't know if the starter has ever been replaced (I bougbht the boat last year). Maybe I'll pull it this weekend and just check things out.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the starter yesterday just to check things out. I didn't see any noticeable damage to the flywheel or bendix. I pulled the starter apart, and thought it actually looked pretty clean. I was going to replace the solenoid since I had it out, but went to 4 auto parts stores and no one had it in stock. It's all back together and ready for a day on the water today. I'll see if I can do more diagnostics today, but should have a boat load of people so we'll be more concerned with having fun today than being in the engine compartment. I'll continue to keep you all posted on any progress. Eventually I'll figure it out, even if it is a year from now.

I doubt it's the dampener plate, but the sound clip isn't that much to go on. I'd lean more towards the clutch plate dragging in neutral, whereas it's fully locked up in gear.

Peter

I am going with the key switch, i saw this last year in a 2006 vlx. only grind in neutral due to neutral safety switch. sticky key switch. just replace it and call it a day. good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Mine did the exact same thing and finally after 20 hours left me stranded after getting low power for about 10 minutes prior. It was my damper and it finally exploded... Be careful... If you feel a lose of ability to tow or your hole shot is reducing, it's that damper plate...

By the way, I had no noise in gear and a lot in neutral...

Edited by bg2pres
  • 1 year later...

My boat is currently doing the same thing, just last weekend it started making this noise. I've known that the starter has likely been going out since last year. When I opened up the engine compartment to inspect the issue I found that there is a small red wire coming off Of the left post where the wires are connected. Did anyone ever determine what the problem was? Should I avoid using the boat until I determine the problem? It does seem to me that it may be the starter remaining engaged so I thought about replacing the starter but was hoping someone had found a fix for their problem before I order a new one to find out it's something else. It's not fun to just start throwing parts at problems but I don't want to just leave it and potentially cause more damage.

Since the boat was worked on after hitting the stump, the shift linkage could be off and only sometimes be sticking. Shift it manually and listen for it. Maybe try to repeat noise by manually moving shift lever just a bit.

Has the shop double checked shaft alignment and the coupling bolts?

Happened to me... Someone hit the nail on the head in this thread. The ignition switch was sticking because the key was inserted upside down.... Key still goes in and engine still turned over..., but the ignition switch wouldn't spring back with key upside down. Boat was '99 VLX

She, who I shall not name, just had the key in upside down. Took me a few min to figure it out... Then it was obvious it was a little stuff when turning the key.

• 8 years later...

mines doing this too , its the stater randomly engaging . twice now its pushed off the ring gear from the flywheel which is a major pain in the a** to put back on . im also at a loss for whats causing this problem . all wireing seems to be intact replaced starter relay , new starter still happens 

3 hours ago, todd47 said:

mines doing this too , its the stater randomly engaging . twice now its pushed off the ring gear from the flywheel which is a major pain in the a** to put back on . im also at a loss for whats causing this problem . all wireing seems to be intact replaced starter relay , new starter still happens 

Please restate this if you would.  Are you saying that the starter runs occasionally when the engine is running?  Also, if the ring gear is loose on the flywheel, your issue is not the starter, it is the flywheel.  If the ring gear is loose it is probably hitting the starter, not the starter actually running.

The ring gear is not loose , yes the starter is engaging in neutral only while running. Can you elaborate on how a loose ring gear would hit the starter ? Mine is heat pressed on and it would be directionally impossible for it to hit the starter if it was loose . I’m guessing I have a short somewhere and other than the other fella who posted with the video I have not seen anyone else with this issue 

@todd47 my mental picture of your v-drive has lost it's horizontal hold (:whistle:since the engine is installed backwards).

just how often does the starter energize while the engine is running?

how easy is it for you to access the relays (ign, starter and fuel pump) which are above the ecm on my rig?

if your issue occurs quite often and relays are within reach, consider pulling the starter relay after you have engine run, to see if the problem still happens.

once that relay is yanked there isn't much else in the circuit.

good luck w it.