Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Fluid Change 08 RLXi

Bought the boat in October. Not sure if the fluids in it are new or used so we are going to change them all before the season starts just to be safe. Changing the engine oil is easy and i have done this on other Malibu direct drives before. However, this being our first direct drive we do not know how to change the transmission fluid and I can not find a transmission manual online anywhere (since that is all the indmar manual tells you to refer to for transmission fluid change). Can someone please give me a step by step guide to doing this? and any pictures would be really helpful. It has the Monsoon 340 in it.

thanks, Mike

I use a squeeze bulb (think turkey-baster like) to drain as much as I can through the dipstick hole. I measure the amount I got out and replace it with new.

If your willing to spend a little pick up a vacuum pump, you might be able to get more out than using a turkey baster. The pumps have a very small tube you can push all the way to the bottom of the transmission. I also do the same, extract as much as possible out of the trans and replace with the same amount. I use a couple 2 Liter bottles, one to see how much I took out, and the other to make sure I put the exact same amount back in the trans.

Here is the pump I use:

Oil1.jpg

Bought the boat in October. Not sure if the fluids in it are new or used so we are going to change them all before the season starts just to be safe. Changing the engine oil is easy and i have done this on other Malibu direct drives before. However, this being our first direct drive we do not know how to change the transmission fluid and I can not find a transmission manual online anywhere (since that is all the indmar manual tells you to refer to for transmission fluid change). Can someone please give me a step by step guide to doing this? and any pictures would be really helpful. It has the Monsoon 340 in it.

thanks, Mike

Here is another option which I use only to empty the transmission. It is a Flotec Drill Pump and like the other members have stated, measure how much you extract and put the same amount back in.

IMG_3035.jpg

Here is another option which I use only to empty the transmission. It is a Flotec Drill Pump and like the other members have stated, measure how much you extract and put the same amount back in.

IMG_3035.jpg

:plus1:

I use the same drill pump and it works great. Pump the old fluid into an empty 1/2 gal plastic milk jub so I can see pretty closely how much came out. Then put the same amount back in.