Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soft or hard cable ?

cstk421

So I picked up my power and ground cables from home depot today. Seems that this stuff is really hard to work with. I was told today I could have used "soft" cable of the same gauge instead. Is using this hard cable a concern ? Is it better or worse ?

Thanks

Claudio

Power and ground cable for what? Your stereo?

Yeah, I'm going to say home depot is probably not the place to shop for power and ground cable for a nice high end install. Check out Darvex.com They've got great prices on good quality stinger cable. It's highly stranded and very flexible, so you can do really tight bends even with relatively thick wire.

Power and ground cable for what? Your stereo?

Yeah, I'm going to say home depot is probably not the place to shop for power and ground cable for a nice high end install. Check out Darvex.com They've got great prices on good quality stinger cable. It's highly stranded and very flexible, so you can do really tight bends even with relatively thick wire.

Yeah I am talking about my stereo. I don't doubt that the cables from HD are good quality but the flexibility is one concern. The second concern my dad had mentioned was that the rigidness of the cable could damage the connections on the amp and the distribution block. I really want to get some clear insight so I can go ahead and buy cable before I finish my install.

Thanks,

Claudio

Yeah I am talking about my stereo. I don't doubt that the cables from HD are good quality but the flexibility is one concern. The second concern my dad had mentioned was that the rigidness of the cable could damage the connections on the amp and the distribution block. I really want to get some clear insight so I can go ahead and buy cable before I finish my install.

Thanks,

Claudio

Well.... let's put it this way: you won't find any high end stereo installers using home depot rigid wire with those big thick copper strands. You just won't. Some diy car stereo guys will use welding wire, which can be pretty flexible depending on the grade but usually has much uglier insulation. Darvex.com is really inexpensive for the quality of wire you get. And it's a pleasure to work with. All of those tiny strands make this stuff bend like rope.

shw10cl_764_detail.jpg

Well.... let's put it this way: you won't find any high end stereo installers using home depot rigid wire with those big thick copper strands. You just won't. Some diy car stereo guys will use welding wire, which can be pretty flexible depending on the grade but usually has much uglier insulation. Darvex.com is really inexpensive for the quality of wire you get. And it's a pleasure to work with. All of those tiny strands make this stuff bend like rope.

shw10cl_764_detail.jpg

Yeah I am seeing I made a mistake. Oh well, I will have to get the right cable and redo it. No biggie.

Thanks for the info though

Claudio

LOL, no worries Claudio. Believe me, I've tried to cheap out and cut every corner possible. I'm FINALLY starting to learn that it's less expensive in the long run to do it right the first time.

You know... Honestly it had nothing to do with price. It was a matter of convenience. Didn't even think that it would not be the correct application. Hey Boz no worries man we live and learn ! Good thing I asked LOL

Claudio

Edited by cstk421