Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Easiest way to tighten ignition switch

My entire ignition switch has always spun when I turn the key since the day I bought my boat. I usually just reach iunder the dash and hold the cylinder when turning the key, but I don't want to do that any more.

There isn't enough room to get a wrench on the nut on the backside of the key cylinder, so what is the best way to get this tight? I've fumbled around with pliers for too long with no good results.

Can you disconnect the wires, hold the nut on the back with fingers and turn from the front (key) side?

You could also try throwing some thread-lock in the mix so when it is finally tightened it will be less likely to vibrate loose.

a little patience.

Ah, not my strongest trait. :)

Scott, I can't get my fingers on the nut from the back side. I think a little more time under my dash and some patience may be the key. I was just hoping there was something I was missing, like a specialty tool or something.