Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub enclosure seal options...

cstk421

As I understand it, my option are rhino liner, resin (bondo).

A trusted friend had a suggestion that sounded solid. He suggested using solar seal. He stated that it was a lot cleaner, very strong, water tight, and I could avoid working with resin, or paying for rhino liner at $12/ft.

Please weigh in on feasibility and if this idea is sound.

Thanks

Claudio

martinarcher

Never used it so I can't give any advice, but I can tell you a roll on bed liner kit does a great job. I've done two boat subs with one kit that I picked up at the local auto parts store. It was cheap and seals very well and you can roll it on as heavy as you would like.

Solar seal will work and is water based but you would have to do several coats of a couple days

I like the roll on bedliner idea forgot about that stuff

Prefer membrane but I get it free from work

So to clarify I am to use tite bond wood glue during construction, screws, and and the end use the roll on liner to "seal" the enclosure from air leaks and water ? Why would anyone go through resin or the cost of rhino if it's that easy ? Am I missing a step ? I am just trying to make sure the quality of the enclosure is to par.

Thanks

Claudio

Still have to fill the screws holes and round over all out side edges so you can get constant thickness of material around the corners

Resin will seal the enclosure and if you use fiberglass Matt will increase its strength. So you can use thinner material

The spray on liners are a better seal since it dry in seconds and multi coats can be supplied

Get a better overall constancy on thickness

The roll on is like a paint. Will have to apply several coats . Letting each coat dry

Edited by my malibu
martinarcher

I seal all boxes on the inside seams with a bead of caulking on all the seams. If it's going in the boat it gets sealed from the outside with two coats of roll on bedliner. My box is two years old now and I had it out this spring to work under the dash. It looks brand new.

What about the seal around the sub? I was told to use some form of weather stripping. I think 3/4 wide by 5/16 thick would do the trick. Thoughts?

yes a seal needs to be made behind the sub this is the most missed seal

The exile big 15 already has a rubber seal so I'm good but for others I would look for a solid rubber seal that can be cut down to the diameter of the woofer.

Most use the carpet as the seal I don't prefer this.

I have Carlisle epdm rubber from work so if anyone is interested just pay shipping I'll sent you some ( 60 mils thick and black ).

I get it in 10ft by 100 ft rolls

If you do end up caulking in internal seems of the enclosure - I would wait 24 to 48 hours to let it dry prior to dropping the woofer in the box. IIRC the vapor from the caulk curing can weaken the adhesive used to attach the cone to the frame of the subwoofer.

First, check you sub to see if it has a rubber gasket, my JL Audio sub has one as well. You can go to HD, Lowes or any hardware store and get some pliable, void free foam (weatherstripping) that will work great.

Just buy the partical board box. I got my sub and box for 150. It stays in dry storage and is on year 2 of use with no issues. If it ever gets wet/damaged, throw it away and get another $40 box.

Just buy the partical board box. I got my sub and box for 150. It stays in dry storage and is on year 2 of use with no issues. If it ever gets wet/damaged, throw it away and get another $40 box.

This takes the the cake!!