Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil change question

Some use the oil buddy. I don't see the need for these when all you need to do is run the garden hose from the oil pan out the floor (t-handle) near the vdrive. More oil imho will come out w/ gravity then w/ any extractor, just warm it up a bit. I usually just drain it after coming home from the lake and let it drain for a day. I've never had my oil filter ever leak by doing it this way. Now if your boat lives on a lift well then I can see these being a needed.

Thanks for the input, in my old vlx, I would let it drain overnight, and still and a lot of oil come out of the filter, made a mess. My experience suggests a pump may help. But with your input, how can I tell when enough has come out and the filter won't make a mess? Any tips are apprdciated

Thanks for the input, in my old vlx, I would let it drain overnight, and still and a lot of oil come out of the filter, made a mess. My experience suggests a pump may help. But with your input, how can I tell when enough has come out and the filter won't make a mess? Any tips are apprdciated

I use the Napa Gold 1069 filter, so that could be a difference. I'm not aware of a full proof way to tell that it won't leak. I use a cut bottom portion of the 2 liter bottle underneath and bilge pads just in case of a spill. I usually drain the oil sat or sun and let it drain until midweek since I won't be using it until the following weekend at the earliest, I don't need it done asap. this is on a Monsoon engine btw.

I will drain through the hose out to a pan on the floor for anout a hour as I clean the boat. For the filter I use a freezer zip loc bag around the filter and simpily just drop the filter in the bag and zip it up, a quick up on the remote filter and spin on a new 1069 Gold. Works great

This is the pump I use. I let it drain for about 30 min - Put a quart back in the engine and drain that quart out. I have someone hold a plastic bag around the filter while I remove it.

http://www.westmarin...&classNum=50402

:plus1: works great. Along with the ziploc bag around the filter, I used a pet "pee pad" on the floor under the filter to catch any drips.

Does the same filter fit the 350 CAT? It's the same engine is it not?

Yep same filter. I used this filter on my merc 5.7, my HH/w CATs and my buddies monsoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a pump that I bought at West Marine. It has a 3 gallon pale attached to it. I put the tube from the pump in the oil drain line. I got a good tip here a while back to take the rubber insert from a spark plug socket and put it around the end of the oil drain line. The tube from the pump then seals to the oil drain line. I warm up the engine then, insert the tube from the pump and run the pump until no more oil comes out. I also use a zip lock bag around the filter. This works so easy, no mess at all and really fast.