Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why aren't trailer spare tire mounts standard?

wakeboarder3780

May want to put a new tire on there...it's marked BAD! :whistle:

Actually it says MAD. When I bought the boat, I told the dealer I wanted a bunch of things, ie; spare tire, transom straps, soft cooler, dock ties, etc. He literally grabbed the tire off another trailer & put it in the back of my truck. I assume MAD is some kind of acronym for a boat or customer name? Seemed strange to me at the time. Later the dealer was closed down due to his sales & financing practices.... maybe it's somehow related?

Slightly off-topic but there are better options than WD-40 for your application. Not sure if they are available in Australia but CRC Corrosion Inhibitor or CRC 3-36 are two such options.

Cheers mate - I will check that out. Thanks for the suggestion :)

• 6 years later...

I too was surprised that our trailer did not come with a welded mount, standard. The dealer was nice enough to send us a heavy duty Fulton spare tire mount though, but my question is do you think using 3M paint protection film would work to prevent the mount from scratching the trailer?

I will likely paint/powder coat the mount over the winter but any suggestions from you to prevent it from marking up the trailer would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Malibu offers two different mounts on the factory trailers. A under mount and a side mount. Possibly your 21 VLX didn't come with that option to keep the price point low. I could be wrong, i've never looked at the order sheet for the 21 VLX.

28 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Malibu offers two different mounts on the factory trailers. A under mount and a side mount. Possibly your 21 VLX didn't come with that option to keep the price point low. I could be wrong, i've never looked at the order sheet for the 21 VLX.

I did get a hell of a deal on the boat after some solid negotiation. I only trailer 2-4 times a year as we’re on a lake, but I still am pretty particular when it comes to the look of everything. Any suggestions on what to use with that mount, to prevent marking the trailer, would be awesome.

1 hour ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

I too was surprised that our trailer did not come with a welded mount, standard. The dealer was nice enough to send us a heavy duty Fulton spare tire mount though, but my question is do you think using 3M paint protection film would work to prevent the mount from scratching the trailer?

I will likely paint/powder coat the mount over the winter but any suggestions from you to prevent it from marking up the trailer would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I feel like the film would just wear right out. My trailer didn’t come with the factory ones. What I did was a I took thin plastic/rubber pads cut them to the right size and put them wherever there was metal on metal and bolted it tight. 

7 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

I feel like the film would just wear right out. My trailer didn’t come with the factory ones. What I did was a I took thin plastic/rubber pads cut them to the right size and put them wherever there was metal on metal and bolted it tight. 

Ok thanks!