Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering a LSV without the Stereo

83greentoy

Has anyone ordered a 11 - 12 wakesetter without the rockford radio? Have any pics with no faceplate in the new dash? Does the factory leave that a cubby area? I am looking at installing a exile system in the new boat that has a build date of May 1, and we are thinking of getting the bat without the radio and just running a ZLD and Iphone, ipod as the radio does not work the best anyways, and with pandora, and the ipod with the radio what is the sense in have the black box and faceplate?

Has anyone ordered a 11 - 12 wakesetter without the rockford radio? Have any pics with no faceplate in the new dash? Does the factory leave that a cubby area? I am looking at installing a exile system in the new boat that has a build date of May 1, and we are thinking of getting the bat without the radio and just running a ZLD and Iphone, ipod as the radio does not work the best anyways, and with pandora, and the ipod with the radio what is the sense in have the black box and faceplate?

In my 2011 I went with the most basic system Malibu would install, head unit with 4 speakers installed and 4 in the box. Not sure if you can completely go with no stereo at all. I ended up doing the same as you and went all Wetsounds/Arc Audio.

That is what I have ordered now and I see it as $1265.00 for a radio! Then upgrade of that seems a bit much for four speakers and box which you bypass. My dealer is looking into if I can send the eight exile cabins down to Malibu for install.

My 2011 and 2012 have no stereo in it at all from Malibu. They did have a little storage hole where the faceplate for the Rockford system went.

So did you run just a EQ line in and the speakers with amps ?

Actually we did install a ROckford head unit. My audio guy found it for quite a bit cheaper. Still gave me the Maliview integration. But from there on everything else is aftermarket. JBL amps, MB Quartz interior and Exile tower speakers. This year I may be running all Exile.

Edited by Malibuzer

That is what I seen the black box for the cabin is only like $200 and the large faceplate is $100. I think you could do ALOT of wiring for a $1000 bucks.

Does anyone actually use the Maliview stereo control functions? To me it just seems like another item to have problems with, so much simpler with the WS-420 EQ or any other eq of your choice. My system is bypassed completely from the Maliview. It is even re-wired so I dont have to have the MTC/Maliview ON to listen to the stereo. Cant figure out why Malibu had it wired up this way. Basically my head unit is an ON/OFF button other than the radio which we never use.

Ordered my '11 VLX without any stereo also. Malibu puts a little tray that's good to put a phone or ipod in where the fosgate dash remote normally goes. I played with the black box in my buddy's 2010 LSV and after being unhappy with my '08 version I determined it wasn't worth what Malibu was charging. The factory was so busy last May they wouldn't do my speakers, but the boat comes pre-wired and cutting all 8 in probably took me about an hour.

This is the only pic I could dig up:

2994775180107047688S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by sp0tts

Did you just use a hole saw and cut in from the front side or did you have to take the panels off. That is the only reason I was thinking of trying to have the factory install the speaker, I don't want to F'up the interior skins.

I'd be mostly curious if they still pull wires for you. Not that it is all that hard, but it'd be a nice time saver if the speaker wires were already there.

At the same time, either way if I were ordering a new boat that is exactly how I'd order it. I'd much rather choose all my own stuff.

Here is what I did with mine.

My boat came with Stereo Package 1 which includes the RF Black Box and 6 RF speakers. This pacage also includes the module that allows you to hook up the Malivue to the black so that you can utilize the Malivue for stereo control. If you think about it - all that little black module does is convert the singals from the Malivue into the same signals that you would get from a wired in touch remote allowing you to control the stereo from Malivue.

So my RF black box has power and ground with the remote wire going into my EQ. So when I get in the boat - I turn on my batteries and hit the power button on the RF dash remote and it sends a signal to turn on the EQ and Amps. That is the extent of what the black box does....everything else is controlled via my EQ.

I can not control the stereo from the Malivue nor do I have any RCA's coming in our out of the Black Box. I like it this way, it is simple and there is not a trace of engine noise or any other noise in the stereo.

I'd be mostly curious if they still pull wires for you. Not that it is all that hard, but it'd be a nice time saver if the speaker wires were already there.

At the same time, either way if I were ordering a new boat that is exactly how I'd order it. I'd much rather choose all my own stuff.

I am pretty confident that there is one wiring harness that covers all options in the boat...so even if you dont get the stereo, you still have the 12 pin molex connector wire into the factory harness and all the speaker wire pre run as well.

I literally used the bottom of one of these: http://www.amazon.co...33118090&sr=8-6 as a template to trace around, the diameter was perfect for my Exile speakers. I centered, traced with a sharpie, and then I used a roto zip spiral saw to cut the holes for the 2 walkway and 4 rear cabin speakers. The bow speakers are covered with vinyl (at least in the VLX they are). Behind the vinyl the hole is already cut for you so all you need to do is take a utilty knife and cut an X shape from the center, then fold the vinyl back, tuck it into the factory cut hole and put the speaker in. The most time consuming part was the walkway speakers. There are a couple pieces (3 I think, and one is a grab handle) that are bolted through the walkway walls, but they come out and go back in real easy. I took everything appart there and traced and cut from the back. It might be possible to leave everything in and cut from the front, but it seemed easier to be precise by just removing the pieces and working on a work bench. You will need to remove the kick panel to do this, but if you're installing a sub, that's inevitable anyhow.

As for the hole saw, I haven't used one, but would think you'd be find using that too.

All 8 speakers were pre-wired at the factory. It's setup so it'll be a 2ohm load with the factory wiring if you want to run all 8 speakers on a normal 4 channel amp.

I was hesitant myself at first, but didn't really have a choice, because the factory was already backed up last spring and there was no way I was doing SP1 with the deal I had on the Samson/Exile stuff. My next boat, I'll definitely be doing the speakers myself unless Malibu steps up their options to Exile or Wetsounds.

Edited by sp0tts

That is what I seen the black box for the cabin is only like $200 and the large faceplate is $100. I think you could do ALOT of wiring for a $1000 bucks.

From the dealer, the cost of the actual parts is a lot more than $300. I inquired about just ordering the black box as parts and installing myself and it was more like $600-$700 for the black box and necessary modules. IMO, just not worth it for the functionality.

Ordered my '11 VLX without any stereo also. Malibu puts a little tray that's good to put a phone or ipod in where the fosgate dash remote normally goes. I played with the black box in my buddy's 2010 LSV and after being unhappy with my '08 version I determined it wasn't worth what Malibu was charging. The factory was so busy last May they wouldn't do my speakers, but the boat comes pre-wired and cutting all 8 in probably took me about an hour.

This is the only pic I could dig up:

2994775180107047688S600x600Q85.jpg

That cubby looks perfect to mount the zld in and have room to slide your mp3/iphone in. Any dimensions on it?

The parts from Rockford's site are 200 and 100 for the faceplate. Looking at it more would put in two transome remotes one at the helm and one in the rear as those faceplates are so dam sensitive our 10 vride it is in the walk through and every time you or the kids walk by it does something to the music.

The parts from Rockford's site are 200 and 100 for the faceplate. Looking at it more would put in two transome remotes one at the helm and one in the rear as those faceplates are so dam sensitive our 10 vride it is in the walk through and every time you or the kids walk by it does something to the music.

Just looked it up, that's a pretty good price. When I ordered my boat I scoured the internet for the black box and I couldn't find the current version or rockford remote anywhere. One could definitely save a lot of money over a soundpack by just ordering from Rockford or one of their vendors and installing their own speakers. The harnesses are put in place at the factory so buying the box should be plug and play. Malibu is pretty good at marking up options. That's a great find if it is the same box they're using at the factory.

Edited by sp0tts

That cubby looks perfect to mount the zld in and have room to slide your mp3/iphone in. Any dimensions on it?

I don't have dimensions and my boat is at it's spring riding location 4hrs away. If I had to guess on dimensions I'd say the width is around 5" and the height is around 3-3.5". The tray is fairly deep too and has rubber padding on the bottom. An iphone or larger phone (galaxy nexus) will fit in there just fine.

I really like the factory system after adding an EQ (not happy at all with it prior to the EQ). It does everything except music for wakeboarders really well.

I also like the Maliview for the auto volume control. I don't use it to select songs from the iPod though, it is much easier to use the iPod for that. I also have a USB stick that I listen to and do use the Maliview to select artists and songs from. I only have about 20 artists on that so it is pretty manageable.

But the auto volume is the real benefit of the Maliview for me.

I just order the LSV today, May 1 build date.

I got the 4 speakers, black box, maliview intergration, and I will be adding the 8 exiles, and 12XI sub once the boat arrives, also looking at adding the ZLD,

But the only question would be with the ZLD does the auto volume of the maliview go away, I will have to ask Brian or Rob at Exile

• 5 weeks later...

I just received a 2012 23 LSV with no stereo, no wiring and no batteries. I am going to go with WS Rev 10 on the tower, 8 WS 650 in the boat, WS amps, sub, and a ws 420 with no head unit. I am installing 2 stinger batteries under the seat to preserve storage area. I will give this a shot. I may want to add the Alpine head unit simply for the transom remote. I will let you know how it sounds. Should be ready by Tuesday.

Let me know how it goes the wiring harness is supposed to be there I've heard mine will be here at the end of the month let the fun begin

I just received a 2012 23 LSV with no stereo, no wiring and no batteries. I am going to go with WS Rev 10 on the tower, 8 WS 650 in the boat, WS amps, sub, and a ws 420 with no head unit. I am installing 2 stinger batteries under the seat to preserve storage area. I will give this a shot. I may want to add the Alpine head unit simply for the transom remote. I will let you know how it sounds. Should be ready by Tuesday.

Pretty sure you're going to have wiring, unless you requested specifically they don't wire the boat. Ordered my '11 with no soundpack and all 8 speakers were pre-wired as well as the wiring harness and video cables if I chose to add the black box later...