Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a new vehicle

Debt Setter

Our tow vehicle is an 07 Escalade ESV, the vehicle I am replacing is an 05 Acura RL. I have about 60k on the Escalade and 102k on the RL, the Escalade has been in the shop for main CPU, fouled injectors, tail gate stopeed working, wind noise on front doors, climate control, dash cracked, window molding peel, chrome door handles peeling, back up camera, warped rotors, heated seat, 3rd row seat rattle, rear tail light leaking water, it went into "limp mode" when towing distances. It is actually in the shop as I speak. My RL has been in the shop 1 time.

My Dad has a 2010 MDX and loves it, I do as well, he has had zero issues. The wife is not a huge fan, she does not like my RL as much as I do. She likes Lexus and I don't, we both like the Audi but are skeptical, they seem to fall apart after 60k. I have the Escalade only out of being forced into it, there is really nothing else out there of it's size and towing ability, I couldn't drive a truck. I will be taking a look at the Jeep this weekend, looking online it looks nice. I think the dash looks a bit cheesy with the nav screen, it doesn't look intergrated into the dash well, maybe in person in will apeel better to my eye. I will also check out the VW, (Ican't believe I just said that).

Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming! :cheers:

We just got the Durango to tow. Haven't pulled the boat with it yet - soon. It's been a great first few months with it - fewer problems than with my Lexus ES & it has a great ride.

Though now at 85k miles, the Lexus has been pretty solid overall.

I can see the biggest issue is the Dodge/Jeep service standards aren't up to what people spending 50K on a vehicle will expect. They had me FUMING with oily fingerprints on both the housing for the tail light they replaced & on the headliner - yes - on the tan headliner by the sunroof.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who recently bought a used Chrokee and he said the same thing. He has had a few issues with it and can not say enough bad things about the service he has recieved. I also have a friend who is a service tech at a Dodge dealership and he can not say enough bad things about managment / corporate. I won't go in depth with details but needless to say, I will not be going this route.

I picked up a 2008 used Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged a few months back for a great price and under 35k miles. It was well within your $50k budget. It's my wife's daily driver and she loves it (I mention this because you said it will be your wife's car). It's also our tow vehicle and has plenty of juice to get the job done. Rated to tow 7,700#. I really like the size and feel of it on the road. It feels like a tank yet it's got a lot of pep, tight handling and solid braking from the factory Brembo's. It's not as massive as the Tahoe, which makes it easier to handle around town with parking and such.

Edited by Scott N

I think letting the wife decide is key. We just got our second RX. The first one had 206k when I sold it. Always a problem free vehicle. I had her look and drive the Jeep G.C. cuz I thought the same as you having a second tow vehicle in a pinch. She was not impressed and I was dissapointed in the amount of plastic in the interior for the price. She also thought it felt cramped. I really like Acuras but given the choice between the RX and MDX the Lexus in our mind's won out on style. To each his own I know.