Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many people get stuff caught in their prop?

Colby2ya

I was doing about 30mph, and got a barge tie rope caught in my prop so bad, immediately caused my transmission to slip and even made water come out the packing where the shaft goes in. Anybody else gets caught with some bad stuff??

• Like 1

A buddy of mine ran thru some duck fencing last summer.... it's fine black netting that happened to be floating in the lake a few yards off shore. He wasn't doing very fast & noticed that it was following him, ripping up the other end out of the ladies yard. I get this phone call. She's freaking out. He's pissed off. I grab a couple of my paddleboard paddles & run over by him. We cut the netting & tell her she needs to make sure it's not being dragged out into the lake any more. Then with him standing in the bow, me standing on the swimstep, we paddle the boat in to a boat lift & take about 10 minutes to cut the mess out of his prop.

Pretty common to run over ski ropes... your own or someone elses nearby. Like the others said, pack & knife & dive goggles in the boat.

I've also seen guys hit a piece of wood & get it wedged between the prop & rudder & sheer the pin off altogether. Pretty easy fix, new sheer pin, rework the prop, cost about $100. But freaked the owner out a bit. And we had to do the prop removal/reinstall underwater.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Usually it's just small sticks caught between prop and rudder or on skags. However, last fall someone in our group let the boat float over WG's new rope and had to go swimming to unhook it from the skags :lol: We always keep a knife and mask in the boat. I really need to get a wrist 'scrunchy' to attach to the knife so we don't have to risk dropping it.

Edited by jetskipro550

Usually it's just small sticks caught between prop and rudder or on skags. However, last fall someone in our group let the boat float over WG's new rope and had to go swimming to unhook it from the skags :lol: We always keep a knife and mask in the boat. I really need to get a wrist 'scrunchy' to attach to the knife so we don't have to risk dropping it.

I found a knife that floats, so if I "drop" it, it will fall up.

:yes:

And yes, last summer we got a big wad of plastic, almost like a wadded mess of 6-pack holders, caught in the prop.

Edited by MalibuTime

I found a knife that floats, so if I "drop" it, it will fall up.

:yes:

And yes, last summer we got a big wad of plastic, almost like a wadded mess of 6-pack holders, caught in the prop.

Geez, that reminds me.... another buddy ran over a plastic grocery sack, sucked it into his intake & starved the engine for water. Thought that was a freaky thing to happen.

I used to have a floating prop wrench too. Worked great.

We drifted over our own ski rope once. My wife tossed it downwind of us before a run once and so of course we drifted over it. I say "once" because she never did it again. There wasn't much I could do cause I was the one in the water. Luckily it only got wound around the prop once and wasn't too difficult to get off, but we did have to go swimming to do it...lol

Once at Shasta lake, it was about midnight and we in a small cove visiting some friends, as we headed back to0 our camp we ran over one of those anchor buddy's, the elastic type, It took us forever to get it off the shaft , Dark muddy water and no light, all done by feel...What a nightmare...

I was driving a buddie's (DenJoe) boat in early spring when the lake was high and had a lot of debris. I was pulling him while his buddy was in the boat w/me. I had to drive through some floating debris and all of a sudden the boat starts vibrating. I shut it down right away and tell the guest that it's the end of our day, we probably just bent the prop on something.

Joe dives under the boat and comes up with a chunk of wood that was lodged between two prop blades. We skiied the rest of the day. I was amazed.

Early one Spring and installing the slalom course (by myself). After attaching a guide buoy, evidently the stainless aircraft cable mainline got hung up on the rudder. I started the engine (immediately shut it off), but that thing was wrapped about a dozen times around the prop shaft - And TIGHT! I ended up taking the prop off and sliding the mess off the shaft, and paddling to shore to re-install the prop in shallow water. The mainline still has the kinks in it, but no damage to boat, prop, or mainline... One of the most nauseating sounds I ever heard, but that will N E V E R happen to me again....

Geez, that reminds me.... another buddy ran over a plastic grocery sack, sucked it into his intake & starved the engine for water. Thought that was a freaky thing to happen.

I used to have a floating prop wrench too. Worked great.

That is a freaky thing.

Now we just need to invent a floating prop, key, and nut to go with the wrench. :yes:

Once I had a rope in my prop so bad I had to have a neighbor tow me to my house, put it on the lift and still took an hour to get out out/off.

We had this happen once, but in the middle of Lake Cumberland. It was so bad we actually had to take the swim platform off in the middle of the lake to access it. Every done that? It's really hard! Ultimately took 2 hours of 4 guys taking turns holding their breath and swimming under the boat, no goggles, to get it untangled by feel. Good thing was it was in the middle of a beautiful day, no wind, several good friends, good music, and plenty of cold drinks for those not driving.

Needless to say I now carry a good knife, mask, and snorkel on my boat.

Edited by msuwaterski

Got my Surf rope wrapped around the prop 2 weeks ago. 15 years experience owning a boat and yes it was my fault. Boat was blowing into a rocky shore so I had to jump into the 62 degree water and untangle the thing. Got back in the boat and started it up about 4 feet from shore. I had no intention of going in the water as my 9 year old was the one surfing. That ice water gave me an ice cream headache like I have never experienced!

Ski rope of course but having long arms I can reach the prop with the platform off and still have my head above water, it means working by feel but I can get it off pretty quick. I did hit a Fisher(redneck)mans two liter bottle on a drift line once and thought I had just killed my "new" boat. The bottle was under water i guess because it was not visable until it came out of the prop. The vibration was intense.

two times in the last 5 years I've gotten blown over the rope and fired up the boat and things got tight in a hurry - both times the rope survived but I had to put the boat on the trailer to get it out of the prop- I now have two "backup" ropes...

oh yeah - also have on numerous occaisions picked up fishing line - despite my warnings some of those fisherman don't care to reel in when crowding the launch... their loss

Edited by FlatH20

we picked up a random piece of poly rope at bullards last june, just as we were heading up the river arm (by the first ss relief, before madrone). I was behind the boat with the handle in my hand. My wife was driving and she shut it down really quickly after feeling a vibration. There was a ton of debris in the lake at that time last year, so we figured that she'd hit a stump or log. By the time I got the mask out and took a look, I could see a length of 8' or so of rope around the prop and drive shaft, but really loosely, sorta just hanging there. My wife had momentarily popped it into reverse as she picked me up and I think that undid the rope. We pulled it off, did a quick test run for vibrations and were back at it in 15 minutes or so.

Being a boat owner for the past 12 years, I have never once gotten anything tangled around the prop. I've had ropes float under with the motor off that I've had to pull out.

That said, with my old I/O I shredded I don't know how many props with it. Hopefully I won't ever do that with our Malibu.

Got my Surf rope wrapped around the prop 2 weeks ago. 15 years experience owning a boat and yes it was my fault. Boat was blowing into a rocky shore so I had to jump into the 62 degree water and untangle the thing. Got back in the boat and started it up about 4 feet from shore. I had no intention of going in the water as my 9 year old was the one surfing. That ice water gave me an ice cream headache like I have never experienced!

:lol: Our riding spot didn't get that warm until late June this last year. I was wearing my drysuit into July

Edited by jetskipro550

:lol: Our riding spot didn't get that warm until late June this last year. I was wearing my drysuit into July

And I thought that was summer temps in the NW. We were already in shorts & heater shirts by the time it got that warm. :rofl:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Never Done IT! :) first time last year it sucks. killed about an hour of riding time. truck553.jpgtruck554.jpg

Edited by hyperlite