Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for Tach sender signal (Key-less Ignition)

I have a 2010 Axis A22, but its dash components are the same as vrides and older bu's so I thought Id ask if anyone has found the grey wire. Especially with all the PP/zero off retrofits. My 5" medallion tach has two multi pin connections. One is 4 pins which I suspect is for analog tach form the CAN bus. The other is ~18 pins and I suspect for the multifuntion display which I think the builtin cruise might also need a tach signal. I called medallion to see if there is a analog signal in either of these, but this guy you designed this is on vaca.

If there isn't an analog tach sender signal behind the dash, any suggestions on where to pick it up on the engine? My instructions say negative ignition coil terminal is also an option, but I dont see anything resembling what I think a coil should look like on this indmar 335.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

BTW - this is for a key-less ignition install not cruise. Works great, but the missing tach signal wire is an nice option to prevent SWMBO grinding the starter.

IMG_20120326_183224.jpg

There probably isn't an analog tach wire at the dash because the tach signal is sent to the dash on the CAN bus. There is an analog tach signal from the engine ECM that probably dead heads at the 16 pin connector where the boat and engine plug together. It is going to be a gray wire and you will find it at position B on the engine side of the plug... right next to the red wire.

If you are trying to prevent the starter from accidentally engaging when the engine is running, that feature is already built into the ECM. That ECM has a feature called "smart start" that cranks the engine for 15 seconds or till the engine starts ... whichever comes first. It also prevents starter engagement when the engine is running as it receives a signal from the engine's crank position sensor so the ECM knows when the engine is running.

THANKS Larry!! Great to have such a knowledgeable source here. I didnt know about the ECM preventing the starter grind - man I hate that sound. Mine does not 'auto start' for 15 seconds - can that feature be flashed or otherwise switched on?

Ill still be stringing a grey wire to the dash. This keypad also auto-runs the blower and beeps when 3 minutes are up (safe to start). It doesnt actually prevent you from starting and If it knows the engine is already running, it will forgo all the beeps.

This is this is a HVS distributor and MEFI5 ECM. On mine there is a all grey wire on the ECM side in position G and grey w/yellow in D. On the boat side there is two all grey wires: D & G. Im guessing since the all grey goes though on G (and logically G for grey?) thats the signal wire? I could not easily see the wires coming out from under the ignition.

Thank for a confirmation - I would hate to short out my ECM.

BTW - This ECM does not prevent starter grind on this boat (OH, my ears). Not on 2010s I suspect - anyway to enable it and auto start?

Edited by morrisdl