Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Look for the vRide

Ndawg12

I'm giving the vRide a new look this year. I have removed the big swirly decal on both sides and was able to save the "malibu" drip molded decals that were on top of the big swirly one. Doing the same thing with smaller one on the transom. I also modified the small "vride" decal on the back corners. I plan to clean the adhesive off the "malibu" decals and put them back on, my question is what type of adhesive to use? Would the 3M 77 be a good choice? And can I spray a little soapy water on the surface to help position the decals during the install?

Also gonna have to do some wetsanding, where can I find an assortment pack of sandpaper that goes up to 1500 grit or so?

boat.png

post-8316-0-87134900-1333042084_thumb.jp

post-8316-0-46130600-1333042093_thumb.jp

Edited by Ndawg12

Cool. So are you goin naked? Or have some other plan in mind?

I'm finally at a point where I think I can talk the wife into letting me strip the old tribal stuff off too. I have a couple of big AirJunky graphics I could go with instead to really personalize it. Or I could go naked.... which I did on my last boat & really liked it.

I'm finally at a point where I think I can talk the wife into letting me strip the old tribal stuff off too. I have a couple of big AirJunky graphics I could go with instead to really personalize it. Or I could go naked.... which I did on my last boat & really liked it.

We went naked on our vRide save for the Malibu logos near the stern. That's it.

Not really naked, more like a speedo :crazy: I want to put the "malibu" drip molded decals back on and need advice on an adhesive and if I can water and/or soap in the process.

I actually order my Bu without the wakesetter decals on the sides. Gives it a nice clean look and makes it a heck of a lot easier to wax without all the ridges on the letters. All I have is the Malibu name near the stern on each side. Norman feelin pretty toasty? I saw 71 on the website the other day. Water was 68 up here last weekend. Ridiculous! Sorry. I have no adhesive advice.

Hehe, Speedo.... gotta be crazy to go there. :rofl:

I talked to the wife about this at lunch today. She said she was good with stripping all the old stuff off. I feel no obligation to keep anything on it at all. But she said she doesn't want the naked look.... that I have to put something else on there that looks good. So I ask for suggestions... she's got nothin. I start making suggestions...... skulls, pink candy stripes, nude trucker chicks, stick families, etc. She wasn't impressed. And it didn't inspire anything from her either. So I'm probably going to need to dream up some kind of fancy AJ decal, mock it up for approval & have a buddy of mine who does vinyl do the work.

It's that creative part thats hard though. :Frustrated:

• 2 years later...

If I wanted to keep the tribal theme, where would I buy new decals?

My Blue below the rub rail is chalky & only looks good when its wet, so I'm looking to have it resprayed during winter. Hence, i'll need new decals.

If I wanted to keep the tribal theme, where would I buy new decals?

My Blue below the rub rail is chalky & only looks good when its wet, so I'm looking to have it resprayed during winter. Hence, i'll need new decals.

A wet sand and buff should get ride of the chalky look. Should be much cheaper than spraying as well.

Respray gelcoat? Since when is clear used with gelcoat? Sounds like he's talking about painting.... Big red flag.

Yes Bill, he is talking about painting over it, then going over it with a clear coat to protect it. I have no idea in this area so was putting faith in what he told me. Sounds like I'm being lead up the garden path???? What would you suggest I do?

Painting a hull is the last option in a long list.

So who did the wet sand & buff job in the past?

Any pics of what your dealing with?

Ill get some pics tonight. Been doing some more searching on the crew. Turns out what I thought was a wet sand is not what ive done in the past. Ive simply used a fibreglass cutting polish with a da circular polisher with a cloth pad & then buffing with a wool pad. Looked great when I finished but only lasted until the first time it went in the water again. Maybe I've been missing finishing off with a wax afterwards to protect it???? We dont seem to have anywhere near the amount of products here in Australia that you guys seem to have.

Yea, I'm sure this is the process you should be exploring. The question is what grits of sandpaper you should be using. I think if you Google terms like "wetsand & buff gelcoat" or "repair fading gelcoat" you will find 100 guys showing what has worked for them. A LOT of which are very much like this process.

Good luck! And be sure to take some before & after pics of how your doing!

• Like 1

Hi Guys. I did a little test area on Friday night before taking the boat out for the weekend. The wet sand seems like its done the trick. Bill, I have ordered some of that 3M Fiberglass Restorer but hasn't arrived yet.

Below is a pic showing the area that I wet sanded. I started out with 1000grit (was a bit scared at 1st to go too hard), then did 1500grit. Wasn't happy with the result, so redid the area starting with 400, 1000, 1500. below is the result. The small blue area to the left of the Malibu decal above the rear tandem wheel is what was done. This photo was taken after being in the water all weekend. Very happy with the result. Now it seems I won't be bored at night for a while.

20150301_1909501_zpsud3ybfpu.jpg

This gives a better view of what I'm dealing with.

20150301_1912131_zpsongffdbj.jpg

Edited by mkpursehouse
  • Like 1

I also have some yellowing stains of the white hull. Has anyone used the following Dulon product. Looks awesome if it actually works as well as depicted in the video. I was planning on using this first, then the 3M Fibreglass restorer, then wetsand, then finish off with 3M™ Marine Cleaner and Wax. Am I on the right track here now?

http://www.boatpolish.com.au/products/dulon-hull-waterline-clean-17.htm

• Like 1

I used half water/ half toilet bowl cleaner to clean yellow staining on the underside of the hull of our '04 Wakesetter. You would be amazed at how quickly that works.

• Like 1

Nice. Looks like your making good progress. There are a dozen different hull cleaner products available at any boat shop here in the US. I haven't heard of the one you listed but it could be an Australian product. The one I usually grab is Starbrite Hull Cleaner. Always thought it was funny that there were so many home remedies for this when there are a ton of off the shelf products that do fine without re-inventing the wheel.

• Like 1