Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth Sensor

I have had trouble for 3 years with the depth sensor in my 2008 LSV.

It will "fault" to a reading of 1 to 3 feet and beep at me, when I am in water over 40 feet deep. There does not seem to be any pattern to the errors. Then the error will eventually go away and it is accurate again.

I am going to try one more time at the dealer, but wondering if anyone has had similar issues and found a solution?

I have the same issues with my '07 VTX. Drives me nuts when the error constantly takes over the screen. Seems to error out more often when underway with speed vs coasting down the water.

+1 for any feedback from the Crew.

Could be a number of different things. Air bubbles while underway masking the transducer signal, air void in epoxy, bad connections, etc....You might try and confirm that the "transducer puck" is still epoxied good to the hull surface in the bilge area. The location varies by boat model, but it will be somewhere in the bilge. Also, confirm that there is no underwater gear or thru hull fitting directly in front of the puck location that might cause water turbulence while underway. Otherwise, check wire connects and make sure all tight and corrosion free.

Next best option if above doesn't uncover something is to replace the transducer. This will cost you a few pennies and some labor to install.

You can always turn off the "beep, beep"...which is likely the shallow water warning set-point.

Edited by BuFootin

You can always turn off the "beep, beep"...which is likely the shallow water warning set-point.

Except that i really like that feature when it is accurate. we do a lot of riding back into coves at DHL and thedepth changes week to week and foot by foot.

I really want a system I can trust.

Edited by Soon2BV

So I glued my puck down with epoxy and found what I thought was a nice clear spot. It was back from the engine a bit, and clear of any chines. I would work sometimes, but mostly just blinked at me when I was moving. It drove me nuts. I didn't figure it out until I looked underneath the boat and saw the water intake fitting was directly upstream from where I had glued my puck down. ARRG! I popped it off (I admit in my frustration, I used a screwdriver here) and re-glued it in a spot with the outside of the hull in mind and haven't had a problem since. In fact, I have never had it misread once since I re-glued it. Happy soundings.