Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vride not running right

My friend's 2005 Vride is running about 12mph slower than it should on the top end. Last summer, it ran about 44mph with two people and no ballast. RPMs at about 5000 (stock 320 LCR engine)

Today, same two people, smooth water, and it would only attain 32 mph at 5000rpm! Sounds fine, runs smooth and I nothing seemed wrong on the bottom end except that it took a little more throttle pulling him up. I thought maybe because he he is a big guy wearing a dry suit.

Both the perfect pass and speedo read the same speed and it seemed like only 30 or so too. Thinking of taking a GPS tomorow but I'm positive the speedo is right. We were not over 34mph at the most.

Any ideas what's wrong? He has sput Stabil in the tank, but I can't imagine that being it.

If the motor sounds like it's turning 5000 rpm when the tack is showing that, I would look into the transmission(slipping) and at your prop.

Sounds like the transmission to me. Go to Napa Auto Parts and buy a syringe style hand pump and check out the ATF fluid. If it is brownish it is a good sign that it is getting hot and slipping.

There is a nice Q&A on the Hurth Transmission. Q6 addresses Burnt, Smelly ATF.

Edited by MoonDawg
My friend's 2005 Vride is running about 12mph slower than it should on the top end. Last summer, it ran about 44mph with two people and no ballast. RPMs at about 5000 (stock 320 LCR engine)

Today, same two people, smooth water, and it would only attain 32 mph at 5000rpm! Sounds fine, runs smooth and I nothing seemed wrong on the bottom end except that it took a little more throttle pulling him up. I thought maybe because he he is a big guy wearing a dry suit.

Both the perfect pass and speedo read the same speed and it seemed like only 30 or so too. Thinking of taking a GPS tomorow but I'm positive the speedo is right. We were not over 34mph at the most.

Any ideas what's wrong? He has sput Stabil in the tank, but I can't imagine that being it.

Next time try unhooking the trailer from the boat before pulling skiers. That will likely give you your lost 12 M.P.H.

j/k

Next time try unhooking the trailer from the boat before pulling skiers. That will likely give you your lost 12 M.P.H.

j/k

He put the boat in the shop, it had a bent prop that he didn't see.

jetskipro,

That's what I thought too. It ran perfectly smooth, no vibration at all. Everything seemed normal up tp about 30mph then it just quit accelerating.

I even glanced at it walking by and everything looked normal. The dealer said that the edges were bent. They're repairing the prop.

Do you guys have any idea what you hit? That is strange that you didn't feel any vibrations or anything. Dontknow.gif I am glad that it turned out to be not a big deal though, and that its getting fixed!